Kohler command 20 with oil from front cylinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumpy66

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My Dosko stump grinder is 7 years old now, earned me good money but has now lost compression in the front cylinder and i can see oil being blown out (in a small way) past the gasket between head and block. I assume that to repair would mean new rings and new gasket. Has anyone had this problem. I think it is caused by the angle of the engine when grinding deep.
has anyone rebuilt a Kohler engine lately? I am thinking it is alpine magnum time!!??

I had a Kohler rebuilt a couple of years ago-cost me about $500-still going strong. Of course you can also buy replacement engines. Get an Alpine if you wish but your Dosko is worth repairing.

i think that you are right, the clutches go at about 6 years and mine is 7 now...i suppose once its done, its done.....thanks stumper.....

in regards to above entry, i am worried that once the engine is fixed, other stuff wiill start to go wrong.....but it is a good machine....so perhaps i will stick with it..i'm hoping its just a head gasket.....i will compression test the cylinders tomorrow...

Hi,
Its worth giving these a phone http://www.hancox.co.uk/kohlerengines.html
There very helpfull and decent on the prices.Could be worth having a chat with them on whats happened to the engine(sounds like it was maybe low on oil and with the angles it gets used at).
Kohler engines are very basic engines,hardly any bearings(shell types) so if theres a few things that are worn it may be more cost effective to get a new engine if you have to pay a mechanic to do the work(or get an Alpine deffo worth it i reckon :D)
Some of the kohlers have chrome bores so if its scratched up this will also cost a lot to get repaired rather than a rebore.

yer, cheers scouse, rang em, gotta check the compression and then maybe if compression ok replace both head gaskets..
As you say .. hancox....they know their stuff.

Oil should have been at a good level....but then i don't check it as often as i should....It started to run badly when tipped up too much.....dunno if that indicates low oil......compression test tomorrow...fingers crossed...

Before you get into it too deep you might just buy a replacement engine. In the US I can find a replacement for $1000 and it comes with a warranty. Any repair will cost $400 or more and is usually only warrantied for 30 days.

New engines are about £1000 from hancox's here .....possibly the best option......the dosko is a good work horse....but the bills always seem to come at a bad time, what with house moves, other business commitments, council tax bills.....compression test tomorrow and hopefully new gaskets at £12 a pop with new studs.....fingers crossed...
has no one else had this problem??

My Gravely mower did that, it was a head gasket. If it blows past for a long time it can mess up the heads mating surface, so inspect it for a groove when you pull it off. Mine took just a few hours in the mower, but as soon as I ran it again I noticed the other side leaking also. I am prety sure those head bolts loose torque and need re-tightened, when I took mine apart they were lose. This was a two year old mower by the way.

My point is if you take that top shroud and intake manifold off, you may as well do both heads at the same time, half the work is getting to that point. But it is a cheap fix and fairly easy, the new head gasket will come with updated head bolts, that may help some.

Thanks Hoosier, it is sounding hopeful....apparently head bolt torque is very important......i will look out for grooves in the mating surfaces....

got the kits, the front cylinder was low but not desperate...desperate enough for it not to combust. rear cylinder was ok, 180ish whatevers....but within spec....so new cylinder head gaskets to be fitted, today, tomorrow monday...i seem to find other jobs to be doing....funny that........ :D

sorted, easy job really, cost £40....it was made to be a lot more expensive by the folk that sell the machine locally...hundreds of pounds they said........seems to be fine now...bores are good, compression nice and ready for work...thanks for the feedback and support....

Nice 1! glad to hear it was an easy and cheap fix:biggrinbounce2: .
BTW did you find out why it happened? just as a future reference.

i think it is just something that happens, the engine started to lose revs when tipped into the hole..i think the plug was getting oily..in fact i think if i had taken the plug out and cleaned it it would have still run for a bit..there was a break in the gasket where the oil and smoke were coming from so job well worth doing, don't know why it happened but i am reassured that my bores look ok anyway....Hancox were very helpful, would recommend them to anyone.

Back