Late July Pics...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Herb / Decorative bed I put in this weekend...herbs weren't liking the pots that much this year but kept 'em alive till I could get a spot ready. The hosta isn't happy because it spent two months in a bucket since my step father had dug it up :)
P7220125_small.jpg

Few daylillies
P7220141_small.jpg

P7220142_small.jpg

Garden shot
P7220144_small.jpg

Hopefully have cucumbers soon.
P7220146_small.jpg

Squash seem to be doing OK. Only a couple seem to have Squash Vine Borers so far -- this is the first year in many (5+) I've used any synthetics in the garden, this time Sevin dust to keep the SVBs at bay.
P7220147_small.jpg

Next year I think I will try a combination of Bt spray & injection and/or a half-and-half experiment to see if it is equal to Sevin at keeping htem under control.
P7220148_small.jpg

Today's harvest...beans were picked last night. Feel a bit like I'm committing infanticide picking these baby squash :D
P7220150_small.jpg

Girls down the block waiting for breakfast....Fred was coming down the street with the feed wagon as I was pulling off. Have no idea why a Brown Swiss is mixed in with their herd. The heifers have their own pasture/woodlot separate from the main farm.
P7220151_small.jpg

P7220166_small.jpg

Looking good! I had to wage war on potato bugs with a shaker of 7 dust yesterday. I had neglected my garden for a few days and holy cow did those tater bugs cause some damage.

No tater bugs this year, few last year.

But voles. Next year will be the War On Voles. Second year in a row they've claimed a lot from my taters, and I think they're causing the plants to die sooner than normal. And I have a barn cat that just about lives down there staking out the garden!

Squash

Looks like you picked those squash at just the right time. Those look like they are at the tenderest and tastiest stage.

Once they become more than a hand long they lose taste and tenderness. Of course that is just my amateur opinion.

Back