Lawnflite Pro Mower Honda GX160 Dies when cutter engaged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimllshiftit

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I wonder if someone here can help me with this weeks "headscratcher".

I have a Lawnflite HRS533 walk behind mower with a Honda GX160 engine. Just recently its started to stall when i push the lever that engages the cutting blade. Sometimes I can catch it right and the cutting blade will start turning very very slowly, but more often than not the engine will just stall.

Thinking it was a clutch issue, i took the clutch off this machine and replaced it with a better clutch that was on another machine I have that is the same but that I just keep for spares. There was plenty of "meat" on the clutch and the bearings all ran freely but I swapped them over anyway. That did improve the issue and I got back to cutting again for about an hour or two but now im back to square one and the engine just stalls when I push the lever. (maybe I was on to something with the clutch)

The only other things ive done since then are adjust the accelerator cable at the carb and also ive run it without the fuel cap on and without the air filter on but none of that made a difference. I dont think it has a safety switch as its a "dead man" handle which is entirely mechanical.

What would you be suspecting this problem is being caused by? Im stumped at the moment. It seems to run fine at idle.

Don’t worry, I seem to have sorted it.

Not sure what I did but I took the blade and the fan off and ran it for a bit. Then I put it back together again and it seems fine this time.

I was going to suggest a new spark plug. Had similar issues with a Honda gcv powered mower. Hit the grass and it would stall right out. Did the carb, bunch of other things and it turned out to be a bad spark plug.

Latest posts

Back