Learning Opportunity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is info on a one day seminar put on by a forest engineering group and also part of the Association of Oregon Loggers credits program. I went to it a couple years ago. I had trouble finding my pickup in the parking lot. The area was full of dirty white Ford pickups.

Note that one topic is non guyline yarders (yoaders).

WESTERN REGION COUNCIL ON FOREST ENGINEERING (WR.COFE) SEMINAR

WR.COFE is a regional chapter (western United States and British Columbia) of the COUNCIL ON FOREST ENGINEERING (COFE). COFE is an international professional organization formed to foster the development of forest engineering in industry, government, and education in order to promote the best methods of managing and operating forests, both private and public. COFE serves the forestry profession by disseminating technical information about forest engineering. For more information check the COFE website at: www.cofe.org

January 15, 2009 - Valley River Inn - Eugene, Oregon

THEME: FOREST OPERATION UPDATES AND INNOVATIONS
(7 Hours of AOL Professional Logger Credits) (5.5 Hours Category 1-CF of SAF Continuing Forestry Education Credit)

0715 – 0815 CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST (Provided)

0815 – 0830 Introduction to WR.COFE
--Loren Kellogg, Oregon State University
0830 – 0900 Koller Multi-Matic Remote-Controlled Yarder
--Lee Miller, Miller Timber Services
0900 – 0930 Logging Slash Bundling Trials
--Forrest Costales, Roseburg Resources
0930 – 1000 Application of Hook-Lift Trucks in Centralized Grinding Operations to
Recover Slash for Energy Production
--Hunter Harrill, Humboldt State University

1000 – 1045 BREAK

1045 – 1115 Non-Guyline Yarder and Tong-Tossing Cable Applications
--Pete Bailey, Skyline Thinning Company
1115 – 1200 Modular Steel Bridges – Myths Versus Realities
--Steve Patrick, Roscoe Bridge
and
Tacoma Watershed Bridge Design–Build–Install Process
--Frank Muth, Muth Consulting Engineers

1200 – 1300 LUNCH (Provided)

1300 – 1315 ANNOUNCEMENTS

1315 – 1345 Current and Projected Regional Timber Supplies in Oregon
--Darius Adams, Oregon State University
1345 – 1415 Integrated Forestry Transportation Management System
--Matt Lehman, Trimble Forestry Automation
1415 – 1450 Engineering Challenges After a Catastrophic Wind Storm
--Jim Hunt, Weyerhaeuser Company

1450 – 1520 BREAK

1520 – 1550 LIDAR Trials with Skyline Profile Analysis
--Jeff Wimer, Oregon State University
1550 – 1630 Harvest Planning Software Update: Spreadsheet-Based
LOGGERPC and LOGCOST
--Rick Toupin and Steve Rheinberger, USDA Forest Service
1630 – 1645 Wrap-Up and Evaluation
--Loren Kellogg, Oregon State University

*******************************************************************************************************************************
REGISTRATION FORM - WR.COFE SEMINAR - EUGENE, OREGON - JANUARY 15, 2009

Registration can be made by mail, telephone, fax, or email. Make your check payable to WR.COFE and mail it and your registration to WR.COFE, 620 SW Fourth Street, Corvallis, OR 97333. Registrations must be received one week prior to the meeting.

Non-members: $85 ▪ COFE Members: $75 ▪ Students $25 ▪ Speakers: No Charge

Name_________________________________________ Telephone_________________________________

Position________________________________________ Fax_______________________________________

Organization____________________________________ Email_____________________________________

Address___________________________________________________________________________________

Council on Forest Engineering - 620 SW 4th Street - Corvallis, OR 97333 - Tel: 541-754-7558 - Fax: 541-754-7559
Email: [email protected] - Website: www.cofe.org

I'll be there in a dirty blue pickup.

COFE is one of the best professional assoications to be involved with in our industry. Lots of great information presented in an informal setting that allows for people to network and share ideas.

That looks like an interesting program. I might just pop on up there and see what I can learn. (I'll be in a dirty white Dodge w/multiple dents.)

Got more bad news from the South Coast Mill log purchasing agent. They pushed the log buying schedule back another month, not planning to open their yard until mid Feb. now. And that's just tenative, it might be later.

Gloom.

Mom lives in Springfield,she said the other night that the snow/ice is pretty much north around salem/albany area for anybody considering driving south on I-5 for that seminar.

ak

Not to worry, the climate is always changing each day. I went two years ago and the roads were good by afternoon. There were chains all over the road in Portland though. They'd been required that morning. I don't know whether I'll go or not this year. I'll have to check the schedule and I think I'll do it on my own. Beware, the motels fill up quickly if you are staying. I stayed in Springfield the time I went. I had been to Forest Service things but that was the first time somebody explained stewardship sales so I could understand. It was a logger putting on a presentation. He didn't use jargon. :clap:

I'll probably be in a, don't mock me, dirty ten year old Subaru. :)

be nice to be a that, I guess that for us loggers on the east coast to learn and enjoy the opp. for such programs someone needs to stand up and lead the way. as for now i will learn from you guys and Iam following the wa. state rules snd regs. even through i dont have to i am for safety and knowledge on yoader and skyline logging. nice slowp

It was a fairly good conference. Must have been at least 250 people in attendance. The topics were all good but I would have liked some presenters to have gone in a little more detail but there were company secrets that they had to protect.

As for the topic of non-guyline yarders, a question was asked from the audience about running a single guyline on a Yoader to get more lift and take some of the strain off the cylinders. The presenter said he had heard of some crews running like that but he though it was a bad idea. He said if you had that skyline maxed out and the guyline failed, all that load would be transfered instantly onto the cylinders and the pressure relief valves would not be able to bleed off fast enough to prevent a bent or blown cylinder. He was big on the use of tong throwers though to pick up corners or around the landing before his big yarder got there. He said it was pretty easy to reliably toss the togle & ring chokers out 250' even in a thinning or select cut.

It was a fairly good conference. Must have been at least 250 people in attendance. The topics were all good but I would have liked some presenters to have gone in a little more detail but there were company secrets that they had to protect.

As for the topic of non-guyline yarders, a question was asked from the audience about running a single guyline on a Yoader to get more lift and take some of the strain off the cylinders. The presenter said he had heard of some crews running like that but he though it was a bad idea. He said if you had that skyline maxed out and the guyline failed, all that load would be transfered instantly onto the cylinders and the pressure relief valves would not be able to bleed off fast enough to prevent a bent or blown cylinder. He was big on the use of tong throwers though to pick up corners or around the landing before his big yarder got there. He said it was pretty easy to reliably toss the togle & ring chokers out 250' even in a thinning or select cut.

Interesting!

Latest posts

Back