Lemon Tree Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reedhines

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My mature lemon tree's bark is splitting (vertically) along its trunk. Additionally, a limb that broke off earlier in its growth has left a small hollow at the branch juncture. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Need pictures. Was the canopy raised so that the trunk has recently been exposed to sun? Or is the trunk shaded? My guess is somebody did some pruning in the last year. What kind of lemon?

Lemon Tree

Hey Tank,

I was beginning to think I had stumped the site; thanks for the reply. I bought this place two years ago. The tree already had these splits. The canopy has not been raised, but the trunk is in shade most of the day. I think it is an Eureka.

I'll take pictures today and post them.

Again, Thanks.

Photos

Tank,

Sorry for the time lapse. Of course my camera batteries were dead, so . . .

Anyway, here they are. Hope you have some suggestions.

Wait a minute, the upload keeps failing. Hmmm. I'll try again in a minute.

On your camera there is a setting for picture size. For pictures you want to send on the internet, 800x600 is about as big as you want to go. That allows us to see the whole picture on the screen, and doesn't take long to up-load.
Some cameras just have small, medium and large settings. Opt for the small or medium.
If you take a picture on the large setting, and you want to email it, you can open it in Paint, which comes on your computer, by clicking on: Start/Programs/Accessories/Paint, then click Images (at the top), and Stretch Scew. In the boxes that appears, put in a percentage that gives you the size you want.
Your tree looks like it had a large branch tear out. Then the tree reacted by growing some new shoots, which were trimmed off.
It's hard to tell but it may have a girdling root, growing tight around the base, which might be a big part of your problem. Could you get us a better picture of the base.

Latest posts

Back