Let em ride it down.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullpine

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
18 tree sitters refuse to budge in California

By RON HARRIS, Associated Press
(Published Saturday, March 15, 2003, 8:13 AM)

EUREKA, Calif. (AP) - Eighteen tree sitters continued Friday to defy a court's deadline to come down from their perches, clutching cell phones and two-way radios to warn each other in case a lumber company made good on its vow to take them down.
Pacific Lumber Co., which owns the land the redwoods are on, was trying to figure out the safest way to bring the activists down, spokeswoman Mary Bullwinkel said. The company has in the past hired contractors to climb up and force activists down.

It's a delicate situation, given that the activists are on small platforms more than 100 feet up. Some platforms are connected with horizontal ropes to provide high-altitude escape routes from tree to tree.

Pacific Lumber served the tree sitters with a temporary restraining order Wednesday afternoon, giving them 24 hours to comply. But the sitters didn't budge, insisting that the ecology of the region was at stake.

"The consequences to the whole community are so much greater than any consequences I might suffer," said a young woman from Michigan who goes by the name Remedy.

She is approaching her one-year anniversary in a large redwood on part of more than 200,000 acres of forest the logging company owns.

Tactics used by hired climbers to force tree sitters down include bending back arms or fingers. Such methods have prompted at least one lawsuit, by a sitter who said he couldn't use his thumb for months afterward.

The company says the tree sitters are trespassing on private property, blocking roads and interfering with its ability to log.

Cut away, or at least take remove all the bark at the base so if they want to sit in a tree that has been mortally wounded that is their biz. Use of tazers also comes to mind. Must be nice to be able to spend a year in a tree and not have to work, let alone react with reality in the world. One other idea, starve them out, cut off all access to water and food. Some one is obviously bringing them sustainance, and if it is private property, restrict access 24/7.

Even if it is misguided, you have to give them credit for dedication. The trouble with most of the methods of removing them is that it draws more attention to their cause and gives them the press coverage they want. Let it be suggested that they are fasting and willing to die for the tree and even if it was an old poplar, it would get world coverage. Barking the tree is an interesting way of removing their reason for being, but again, bad PR. Not an easy job today.

Frank

Hey @$$hole!, will you move out on that limb a little further so I don't have to wedge it??!!:D If ain't noboby lookin' then just cut it down!:D

I can't believe that they'd let it go on for a whole year. In as much as they may have a point, trespassing is still illegal. Start cutting the tree down, and see how dedicated they really are.

As for any lawsuit from a climber breaking fingers or such, if you're trespassing on MY property and refusing to leave, you'd be grateful that was all you got. More liberal bullsh1t.

"As for any lawsuit from a climber breaking fingers or such, if you're trespassing on MY property and refusing to leave, you'd be grateful that was all you got. More liberal bullsh1t. [/B][/QUOTE]"

Well, I guess my wife's people have the right then to not just bust the fingers of the whities, but to kill them as well. Que paso?

Goes both and every which other way.

Wilted Oak,
Killing all the trespassing whities was tried once in Texas, it did'nt work.
I wonder If the finger bending came to play after the bucket of Doo-Doo was dumped on that poor S.(L)O.B. climbing up the tree. I think I'd want to bend somebody's, something to.

JT :D the trespassing whitie :D

Lafitte,

You are Cajun, no? Why did your people leave Canada and move-in with the escaped slaves down in Delta land? Did they not know those slaves were illegally occupying indian land and as being run-aways and someone's property, should not they all have been gathered-up and shipped-back to their rightful owners? Your own people are illegal immigrants, maybe the FBI should deport the whole lot of ya?

By virtue of your heritage you are a rebel. That means against the flow. You speak a foreign language and are French. Did you not know the French are now enemies of the U.S. ("you're with us or against us")?

Irony in life.

Oakwilt Mon Ami,
Yes my heritage is French, and I have been called a Rebel and most probably am, we are a different breed apart from those in France that stand against us, however I am an AMERICAN. My ancestry arrived in North America in 1534, If you remember they tried to chase us down from Nova Scotia to Louisiana and Texas to Kill us by bending our thumbs, but that didnt work either, as they found that we are as tough as Wood Pecker Lips and as mean as a she Gator. My heritage is of Iron Men and wooden ships, we have fought for and protected this Country, our Country and yours sense then.
My heritage French yours I would assume Irish Texican and your wife Spanish, well were all white treaspassers. We should get togather for a Beer or three or more, and a thumb bending party after we cut some wood.
:D :D :D :D
As Paul Harvey says,Bon Jour.
JT

Last edited:
Lafitte,
oui, but not Spanish or Mexican. She's Cherokee, like Sam Houston. Her great great great grandad was John Ross, principle chief of the nation for 40 years, including the forced removal by Andrew Jackson. So much for helping an ally.

I'm a kraut, well part anyway. Mom's Canadian - Norway and Sweden and Scottish. Grandpa on dad's side was named Schmoldt, later changed to Smoldt then WW2 ended. Afterwards he made it Holt. A scientist in Hitler's genetic research programme, he helped generate thousands of pages of data from human experimentation - mostly on Jews, and mostly from thyroid, liver, and brain frozen tissue cell cultures. He was hurriedly brought to the U.S. after the war to be with his family again and continue work at the Walter Reed Army Hospital. He died in '63. He was just following orders. Like we do.

Family had an apple orchard, we held fifteen varities developed ourselves, modified genetically. Grafting eight lines, selling eighteen. Guess you could say the deaths of millions of Jews helped us establish some fine apple varieties, but hey, business is business. Bayer aspirin and Ford Motor did it.

I'm living with the legacy of Gramps. I know what religious, political, and national fanaticism can lead to. He was a good old man but was blind to the pain he inflicted on his subjects, thinking his entire career that Jews were no higher on the species scale than sea turtles.

Sometimes my Germaness can give me fits - don't know when to quit, can't take breaks once work begins, and stubborn as a hammer.

Oakwilt,
Ainsi votre Texican/Allemand et l'epouse est Cherokee, qui doit etre une combinasion explosive. Mon epouse est une Acadienne ou un Cajun. je suis un decendent soutenu American d'un Monsieur Francais Privateer de la Nouvelle- Orleans.
I believe that most Americans have quite a story to tell about thier family origins when it comes down to it. Thats what makes us the great Nation of people that we are. Were not just one group but many just like a cayudol Dog. (a MUT) New Orleans my place of birth, is the melting pot of the United States.
My father fought in Germany during WW2 with General Pattons 3rd Army Armored Division and with the 705th Tank Destroyer Division also under General Patton. They helped to liberate France and was at the Battle of the Bulge in Bastogne Belgium surrounded by the Krauts. After they chewed them up, they pushed across the Rhine River in to Germany and chased the German Army all the way to Berlin, as to Liberate the Jews and the other POW's and the German people. My Dads abillity to speak French saved thier bacon on more than one ocasion. My Grand father was a Merchant Marine Skipper for 50 years with the Lykes Lines Shipping Co. and lost several ships in the Atlantic to German U-Boat Wolf Packs.
Me, I was with the 1st Division 5th Marines from 67-69 and back again 70-71 in Vietnam and retired from the Marine Corp reserve in 1997
Semper Fi
JT
PS: I hope no offense is taken about the explosive combinaton of a German Man and an American Indian Cherokee Wife, My brother in law Danny's wife is a full blooded Comanche Indian from Oklahoma and let me tell you Tina has got some kind of temper, but she is the only person that can handle Danny. He walks the straight and narrow for her.
Almost forgot I've got to file the chain on my 66 and lay some saw pine down in the morning
JT

Last edited:
Votre famille était des pirates, vous verrez que je suis aussi. La
démocratie ultime est un bateau de pirate!! L'armée Forces Spéciales '72 à '84.

No offense, takes more than boiling blood to trigger a response, be cool mon.

Times are going to be very interesting.

1534, got us beat by a few decades. My paternal line came here in 1623 as religious fugitives, er, the preachers family, which means they were a little too radicle for The Kings Church. And my paternal Gandmothers line (Bell/Beal) got here via indentured servitude after one of the Irish uprisings in the early 1600's. The maternal line kame from Wales and Sweden in the mid-late 1800's as miners and loggers.

Back