Log splitter help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TONYRB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have got a hold of 2 rams. The bore is 5" and the shaft is 4". With a 1300 cm stroke. Estimate 2.8 meters fully extended. we are currently fitting 1 inch ports as the factory ports are small. Seals and bore is good conditon in the first ram. Im wanting to make a 1meter by 1meter 8way cutting head. The cutting head will be ajustable to center it with the rings we load in. Im hopeing to achieve loading 3 300mm-400mm rings into it with the bobcat and push them all threw at once. On the end we will fit a convayr 3meter to load our truck. Iv had a few people say to only use 1 of the rams but with what im trying to achieve im shore ill need the 2 rams for the tonnage?? Iv worked out 26ton per ram at 3000psi.. we can ramp the psi up to 4000psi gives me 35ton per ram- our pushing plate it 500mm by 500mm square by 25mm thick. I do have room to fit the 2nd ram on top of the first ram.

Here is some questions.

What size hp engine and gmp pumps ect do i buy. -
It will need to fill a ram or 2 if nessary. Also it will need to run 1 little ram on the splitting head and run a convayr. Im making it on a 300mm wide ibeam but it will also have 2x c section running from the back of the ram to the front supporting the splitting head over top to help strengthen everything.
Im not bad with welding and making it strong so wood is the week point.. but stuck on the engine's hp, gpm pumps and and tonnage i need to push threw 700-800mm full size rings..

The cutting head design is, first cuttjng edge centre blade is 250mm in depth, 2nd blade is 75mm back and the last 4 50mm back - if it gose smothly ill look at fitting 8x angled bits to make it a cookie cutter. Just dont want it to jam up.. i worry about get it all working first

Thank you. Tony

Latest posts

Back