Looking for ideal slow watering system

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My cup runneth over, truly. I'm a newb to this forum and am feeling the love!

I started to dig into the peristaltic pump strategy, even purchased one to play with flow rates, but I must say that the gravity approach just proposed by SCMthHaul is the front runner - a very elegant solution that requires the same tank (looking at a 65G horizontal leg tank from TSC) but just some valves and hose, no pumps/power (though as mentioned I purchased a pump, had a 12V deep cycle battery picked out and was about to move onto an inverter and tube splitters). I can put the tank on blocks and put a mesh over the tank mouth to filter out particulate from the lake water (thank you lake). I'll get decent quality valves to provide precise flow.

If my trees take, I'll send y'all some preserves in about 5 years!
" I purchased a pump, had a 12V deep cycle battery picked out and was about to move onto an inverter and tube splitters"
Unless you purchased a 120V pump, you don't need an inverter for a 12 volt pump, and a 12 volt battery..
Just saying.. But I'm sure you'll fond a use for the pump.. They are cool toys..

Don't forget to let us know how you make out!

Depending on what you use for the water tank, I thought of the programmable timers I bought for our low pressure garden system. They were relatively inexpensive and would help to not over water or waste it by running 24x7. Either use the small 1/4 hose for the garden stuff or cut a disk with a hole for the desired flow rate when the battery powered valve is triggered to be 'on.' I've always wanted one of those IBC tanks but don't have any access. So what I have used instead are 80g fiberglass pressure tanks that failed and are stacked up at a local water well company. They have to pay to get rid of them so are glad to give away as many as you want. They charge for the steel tanks....

I remove the bladder in the pressure tank and use the original 1 1/4 inch plastic inlet and glue adapters down to a standard hose bib fitting. I drill through the hole where the schrader valve was removed to a convenient size for filling and have a cap that can breathe on the top. Even after the well is in place you'll probably still find a use for the irrigation set up for many years afterward. Saves from having a hose laid out all the time and the dreaded burst and flood that would follow. Total cost is the valve, a few fittings, some hose/tubing and your time.

I've always wanted one of those IBC tanks but don't have any access
I've found them from various sources. I live near a heavy agricultural area so plenty of them are around, but the best ones came from a local business that would buy bulk generic liquors, rum, vodka, etc., and then blend and or bottle them as "House" brands for different businesses. But the real reason these were the best is that one time the IBC tote still had a few gallons of 191 proof grain alcohol. Yee-doggie you feel that as soon as it hits your tongue-unlike anything else I've ever tried!

Back