Lowes 27 Ton splitter by Troy Built

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cadillac

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I gotta share my positive wood splitter experience, now that I have a few cords of split wood under my belt with this piece of equipment. Being a little shopping anal.....I really researched my splitter options before landing on this one. My usage experience thus far has been very positive. So here's what ya get:

original price $1399, BUY when on sale -5%, use Lowes card -5%, MILITARY DISCOUNT -5%
Purchase Price $1189!!
Splitting Tonnage 27.0
Hydraulic Fluid Included Yes
Hydraulic Tank Capacity (Gallons) 3.0
Fuel Capacity (Gallons) 0.35
Engine Oil Capacity (oz.) 12.0
Recommended Engine Oil Type 10W-30
Trailer Hitch Included Yes
Jack Stand Included Yes
THEY ASSEMBLE IT FOR YOU AT THE STORE AT NO CHARGE!
Warranty 2-year limited
Wheel Diameter (Inches) 16.0
Engine Brand Honda
Engine Displacement (Cu. Centimeters) 160.0
Starter Type Pull start
Cycle Time (Seconds) 19.0
Capacity (Length of Log) (Inches) 25.0
Operating Position Horizontal and vertical

I gotta share my positive wood splitter experience, now that I have a few cords of split wood under my belt with this piece of equipment. Being a little shopping anal.....I really researched my splitter options before landing on this one. My usage experience thus far has been very positive. So here's what ya get:

original price $1399, BUY when on sale -5%, use Lowes card -5%, MILITARY DISCOUNT -5%
Purchase Price $1189!!
Splitting Tonnage 27.0
Hydraulic Fluid Included Yes
Hydraulic Tank Capacity (Gallons) 3.0
Fuel Capacity (Gallons) 0.35
Engine Oil Capacity (oz.) 12.0
Recommended Engine Oil Type 10W-30
Trailer Hitch Included Yes
Jack Stand Included Yes
THEY ASSEMBLE IT FOR YOU AT THE STORE AT NO CHARGE!
Warranty 2-year limited
Wheel Diameter (Inches) 16.0
Engine Brand Honda
Engine Displacement (Cu. Centimeters) 160.0
Starter Type Pull start
Cycle Time (Seconds) 19.0
Capacity (Length of Log) (Inches) 25.0
Operating Position Horizontal and vertical

It is a nice unit. The only two gripes I have with mine is:
That eyedropper of a fuel tank - have to refill way to often.
And the wheel position in horizontal mode - nothing to be done about that as all tip-ups have that problem.

Harr K

I have the same meodel I bought 2 months back, same price too!! So far, it has been great. I'm a simple homeowner and it eats whatever I feed it. Saves my back!:rock:

I think I've had mine for 7 years or so. It has split everything I've thrown at it with no complaints. Only thing I've had to do is change the motor oil. Several years ago, I made a table that bolts where the cheesy original log holder went, and it was a great addition. I know I've seen pictures of one on here with a broken trunion mount, but considering how many of these are out there...... who could be shocked?

Birthday021.jpg

Birthday022.jpg

Birthday023.jpg

SugarMaple010.jpg

SugarMaple010.jpg

Troybuilt

Nice modification. I hope mine doesn't break......but if it does, now I know what I will do to fix and improve it!

One of my two splittters is a TB -27 ton, it going on 3.5 seasons, it has split a heck of lot of wood, prolly right at or slightly exceeding a 1000 cord. Since we sell firewood commercially and year round it gets used.
My biggest complaint is the pos Honda GC 160 engines, I've had two fail, both times dropped valves, trashed motor. Both have been covered under warranty. The last one (3rd one) was used a couple of weeks and they never could get the rpm's adjusted to stay at a consistent speed. I have since jerked it off and converted to a horizontal 11hp B&S I/C with a 16 gpm speeco pump. Big........major improvement in performance. Another issue that they could work on is redesigning the wedge, it is way too wide, the narrow 1.5" knife edge wedges are so much more efficient. For people doing 20-30 cord a year they are a fine machine, the 3 gallon hydraulic tank is too small. You run one for six hours non stop except to fuel and try to place your hand on the cylinder. They really heat up. On the other hand it sure doesn't cost much to change out the fluid and filters a couple times a year. The warranty service was excellent.
It has not failed to split what we have thrown on it, we built a heavy table off the motor side, welding 2x2 angle iron right to the beam and covering it with metal, it's about 22"x 26", we don't do the vertical splitting method if it is heavy, we use a front loader and log tongs.
Keep a close eye on the trunion cylinder mounts, we've not had one fail, but several on here have.
As I said, for the homeowner will last forever, not really made for commercial use.
Last year added a Swisher, I can't remember if it was rated at 22 or 26 ton sticker is long gone, 8,5hp B&S 8.5 I/C 16 gpm pump, 10 gallon hydro tank, much better wedge design. it uses a pulley and belt system instead of a lovejoy ( we wear at least two sets a year out on the TB) the belt tension can be released, letting you start the engine with out the pump engaged in cold weather. I gave 999.99 at the local farm store, at Christmas this year ran a similar unit for 950.00. The Swisher will split circles around the TB as they come from the factory, after our mods the TB is holding it's own.

Just keep an eye on the little Honda GC's we kept our oil checked and changed frequently, I understand the GC is made in China. Enclosed in the 2nd box was a invoice of some type showing a 97.00 credit to the dealer for the engine.

Overall the TB has done me a good job, paid for it's self many times over. I think it was Avalancher that had a dangerous complete failure under load with the trunnion mount cylinder, another member posted potential class action law suit action over the cylinder having catostrophic failure with the cylinder mounts sheating under load.

Be careful, be safe, keep an eye on the trunnions and the little GC, will prolly last you a life time.

have had mine since november. love it. 2 gripes however: one is the end block seems to small when it the verticle position(have to block up around it when doing large rounds), and two is i believe the spool? valve or relief valve has developed a small leak,not loosing any noticable fluid but the control stays wet and ive noticed that sometimes the auto release will not go.

its under warranty but our local lowes uses an out of town repair service meaning turn around time on repairs is about 2 weeks! im going to try to wait till the majority of my splitting it done the season( end of febuary) then take it in.

I have a TB 27 ton splitter 2005 model bought new,I have since added tables(aluminum 1/4 diamond back) both sides ,changed the arms to 1/4 plate,I just overhauled the entire splitter,new pump,hoses,cylinder,valve,reinforced the pivot point on the frame. the briggs 6.5 that was on it has started to vibrate itself to death,so i changed it out to a 200 cc honda motor. The reason was this splitter runs year round,as i sell firewood year round average 120 cords.one of my helpers was trying to split red oak knots after being told not to split them.well everything started leaking,so i spent 800.00 on it,but the upgrades are great,so now i am looking for another troybuilt used so i can up grade it as a back up. Just made a 3 hour drive to get one and when i got there the guy had sold it ,because he thought the guy he sold it to was me.he had it on craigslist.he said 4 or 5 people had call and looked at it.

I have a TB 27 ton splitter 2005 model bought new,I have since added tables(aluminum 1/4 diamond back) both sides ,changed the arms to 1/4 plate,I just overhauled the entire splitter,new pump,hoses,cylinder,valve,reinforced the pivot point on the frame. the briggs 6.5 that was on it has started to vibrate itself to death,so i changed it out to a 200 cc honda motor. The reason was this splitter runs year round,as i sell firewood year round average 120 cords.one of my helpers was trying to split red oak knots after being told not to split them.well everything started leaking,so i spent 800.00 on it,but the upgrades are great,so now i am looking for another troybuilt used so i can up grade it as a back up. Just made a 3 hour drive to get one and when i got there the guy had sold it ,because he thought the guy he sold it to was me.he had it on craigslist.he said 4 or 5 people had call and looked at it.

Same 800 bucks gets ya a brand new 27 ton on sale at lowes soon, with 100 buck rebate. No need to find and buy a used splitter then spend the time and money to upgrade it.

http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...lowes-this-weekend.262121/page-8#post-5049198

Latest posts

Back