Mac D 44 the saga continues.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no idea wheather or not this would be beneficial or not with out seeing the problem first, I was just answering the question about what lapping was.

Lapping,defined

Lapping,is the process of fitting one piece to another by using an abrasive compound.An example would be lapping the valves on a 4 cycle engine.The sp 125,has no keyway in the shaft,but relies on the taper of the shaft to hold the clutch in place.This taper acts similar to a wedge,with regards to its ablity to hold.An example would be the Morse taper used on large drill bits.Lapping has been used for years on the flywheel side,to get a more perfect fit and help eliminate out of alignment wobble.I suppose in a worst case scenario that a new keyway could be milled opposite the old one,but that would entail a lot of work and perhaps a sum of money.As far as a crank shaft inter change,it may be possible to interchange a super 44a with another 5.3 cu inch engine crank.It's 5:45 am,now but I wll look up some part numbers after I get off work,and make a post if I find any thing that might work.As I've said before,a lot of the "10" series will inter change and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the "1" series would also[the 44 series fits in the time frame]

Well I just looked up the numbers for those crankshafts,good grief,5 numbers for the 44 series/1-70.Numbers 51225,55005,55257,55765,and 57756 .It's a 1.5 inch stroke.I can't make hide nor hair out of the various codes they give,so a replacement would be a hit and miss type situation.I'm sure someone has the info,but in this case ,I tried but sorry to say,it's not me.

Thanks Al for your efforts young fella, i have cleaned both of the 44's i got and the Super 44a has come up OK, i might be able to use the clutch off the D-44 on it and thereby get rid of some of the excessive wear although the crank is still bad around the keyway. Thank goodness i got the two of them as i didn't plan on getting the D-44 up and running as i planned to use it for spares anyway. You should have seen the corrosion inside the tank of the Super 44a there was hand fulls of flakey stuff but only from the fuel tank top casting, again i'll use the D-44's top fuel tank cover to put it back together.

I'll endevour to start getting it back together over the next couple of days as i would like to hear this Mc Sucker run.

Mc Bob.

Back