Magnum Muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually Steve it's the other way around. The inner spikes are the same but the 046/460 outer spike is slightly longer....so when you order spikes for the 044/440 you use the same 1122 part number that you would for 064/066, but the outer 046/460 spike has a different 1128 part number. They're also different in the aftermarket (Pro Safety) versions.

Last edited:
Actually Steve it's the other way around. The inner spikes are the same but the 046/460 outer spike is slightly longer....so when you order spikes for the 044/440 you use the same 1122 part number that you would for 064/066, but the outer 046/460 spike has a different 1128 parts number. They're also different in the aftermarket (Pro Safety) versions.

My bad. All the half wraps around here come with the single small spike. I was thinking backwards. I knew one of them was the same as the 440/460/660.

Last edited:
yup..my 046 has got a muffler just like that!! they sure are louder..and run a heck of alot better 2!!
IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

I'm with you there, Stihl has a lot of crap to keep track of. The first batch of MS-660s we got had the gold-colored hardwood dawgs, which didn't do much good in the Northwest.:monkey:

I'm with you there, Stihl has a lot of crap to keep track of. The first batch of MS-660s we got had the gold-colored hardwood dawgs, which didn't do much good in the Northwest.:monkey:

So that is the difference in color huh?

yup, ours our gold and yours our silver......

Just ordered the extended bar cover kit with the dual spikes for my 440. Wonder what color they will be? I already had a new wrap handle it came as a kit, so I don't remember the #'s and was cheaper than buying the cover, chip guard, spikes and roller chain catchers....

Now I just need the longer tank side handle screws that I forgot to order.....lol

All the "gold" colorsis either gone or in the process off - they arecadmium plated... and now now longer allowed.

All the dogs, screws and other unpainted steel parts will be silver colored - a nickel or zinc alloy I beleive..

Something I've noticed

and it's probably no big deal in the 'real world'... but

I got a factory 046 dp cover for my 440 back in November, and also a pair 046 and 066 dp covers (just because?) all three were special-orders, and all arrived with light surface rust on the unpainted interior surface.

I pulled the stock cover off the 440 (MD 0604) and there is light surface rust inside there too. :( The piston & bore looks nice and oily though.

046066DPmufflercovers.jpg

My 'treatment' for the few mufflers I've done in the past is to cook them in a 1000°F kiln for 10-15 minutes, then cool off and give them a few licks with a soft wire brush. Very little junk gets past that.

The three covers I have now won't need a cooking, just a brushing and some denatured alky to degrease prior to painting.

I have had good results from Rust-oleum high-heat enamel... after several light coats, I bake them in a convection oven for a few hours at 300-400°F depending what all else we have cooking that day.

Last edited:
Saw aint' gonna run like that....lol. Lmao! Good job on the muffler, my dealer has one just like it but he wants $60 for the whole muffler. He won't sell me just the cover.:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw:

The cover is available from the dealers. It is a "Canadian/Austrailian" cover and $35 list. I got a new one from my dealer for my 460 a couple of weeks ago. 1128 140 0801 (per Lakeside)

and it's probably no big deal in the 'real world'... but

I got a factory 046 dp cover for my 440 back in November, and also a pair 046 and 066 dp covers (just because?) all three were special-orders, and all arrived with light surface rust on the unpainted interior surface.

I pulled the stock cover off the 440 (MD 0604) and there is light surface rust inside there too. :( The piston & bore looks nice and oily though.

046066DPmufflercovers.jpg

Ok, I might be derailing a thread, but I have to ask. I put a side venting muffler like the cylinder side of the pictured muffler from an 036 onto my 034. My question is if I use the front venting original cover from the 034 and make it effectively a dual port muffler, will it gain anything more on a 56.5cc saw? The original cover for the side-venting 036 muffler has no vent. I thought by adding the front venting cover it may help, but I may be freeing flow up too much?

I checked both muffler covers and I could do it, but I would have to do some modification to the original 034 cover so that the top 2 bolts would work. Maybe I will just be happy with the 036 muffler, for now.

Latest posts

Back