Major chipper failure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzgator

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Vermeer BC1000 with 198 hours. I bought it new from the dealership last year.
It's been a great machine, but, recently a piece of wood was fed into it that must have had some type of hardened steel. It completely ripped a knife off the drum. See pictures attached.
Here's my problem. The dealership (who I've dealt with in the past, they're pretty good) is saying it will be $9,500 to repair. The drum still turns.
They claim it needs a brand new drum and housing.
I find this hard to believe and was hoping to get some feedback.
We could not find the steel/debris and it may still be in the chipper.

Attachments

• IMG_4918.JPG
    IMG_4918.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4919.JPG
    IMG_4919.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4920.JPG
    IMG_4920.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_4921.JPG
    IMG_4921.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_4957.JPG
    IMG_4957.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 92
  • knife.jpeg
    knife.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 76
I have a 2015 Vermeer BC1000 with 198 hours. I bought it new from the dealership last year.
It's been a great machine, but, recently a piece of wood was fed into it that must have had some type of hardened steel. It completely ripped a knife off the drum. See pictures attached.
Here's my problem. The dealership (who I've dealt with in the past, they're pretty good) is saying it will be $9,500 to repair. The drum still turns.
They claim it needs a brand new drum and housing.
I find this hard to believe and was hoping to get some feedback.
We could not find the steel/debris and it may still be in the chipper.
They have to stand behind their work. Hidden cracks out of camber bearings etc I fully understand their assessment. Will your inland marine not reimburse you ?

Just so u know. A good friend of mine does logging and land clearing. He has a tracked morbark chipper with a grapple. He had a similar situation happen with his machine this spring, one of the knives broke loose and took out the drum, 3 1/2" shaft the housing and what not. He took it in to get repaired and never thought to check with the insurance co. Needless to say he happened to ask his agent the other day and he said yep we would cover that.... I'm not sure if his machine is insured separately or if it's covered under some kind of rider policy for his equipment.
Thought I would mention it, good luck with the repairs and glad no one was hurt...

Thanks for the advice. Luckily no one was hurt. I'm calling my agent Monday to get the exact verbiage on the contract. I think it's only covered if it's stolen

Thanks for the advice. Luckily no one was hurt. I'm calling my agent Monday to get the exact verbiage on the contract. I think it's only covered if it's stolen
I think he said his agent called it catastrophic damage. I'm not 100% sure. Either way good luck, hope it works out for you.

Good luck. Hope insurance covers it. At work we've got around 20 grand in replacing the drum, bearings, shaft, blades, and anvil on one of our bc2100's. Unlike yours we could in no way claim catastrophic damages as the machine has 7500 hours on it, and well beyond the hours of bearing replacement.

Latest posts

Back