Making a D Carb Tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, but as I've said before, I've come to hate adjusting carbs with a straight slot screwdriver. The anti-tamper ones will stay on a running saw much better and are easier to get on too. I've even swapped some onto carbs that had slotted adjusters. I do wish there had been only one kind though, and of course you could achieve the same thing with a cap head screw or somesuch.

Also, the heads on the screws I showed just above are very small, as are the splined ones, and you'd have a hard time getting a decent sized slot in them.
was thinking about plastic limiter caps removed and a tool like a poulan splined tool that would slide over adj. screw . the plastic limiter covers you can not get screwdriver in slot while running saw thoughts:)

was thinking about plastic limiter caps removed and a tool like a poulan splined tool that would slide over adj. screw . the plastic limiter covers you can not get screwdriver in slot while running saw thoughts:)
IIRC there were metal limiter caps on the ones I just showed above, but they disappeared in a couple of minutes. I thought I kept them but can't find them now. Anyway, that is what was left after their removal.

Honestly, I've never tried to adjust a saw with limiter caps - knowing how a chainsaw carb functions, I know they cannot hold a fixed mixture even with small changes in air flow, let alone changes in atmospheric conditions, temperature, fuel, etc. So limiter caps are just a cheap cheese by the manufacturers and not a real solution to anything, as you must be able to adjust the mixture for the tool to operate. Limiters didn't even work on cars or mowers, or other OPE with real carbs, and they can't work on these.

IIRC there were metal limiter caps on the ones I just showed above, but they disappeared in a couple of minutes. I thought I kept them but can't find them now. Anyway, that is what was left after their removal.

Honestly, I've never tried to adjust a saw with limiter caps - knowing how a chainsaw carb functions, I know they cannot hold a fixed mixture even with small changes in air flow, let alone changes in atmospheric conditions, temperature, fuel, etc. So limiter caps are just a cheap cheese by the manufacturers and not a real solution to anything, as you must be able to adjust the mixture for the tool to operate. Limiters didn't even work on cars or mowers, or other OPE with real carbs, and they can't work on these.
when the tabs are trimmed most mechs. put the trimmed caps back on because they fill void left when removed making it easier to find slot vs.without them was what i was talking about on most stihl saws going thru rubber grommet

when the tabs are trimmed most mechs. put the trimmed caps back on because they fill void left when removed making it easier to find slot vs.without them was what i was talking about on most stihl saws going thru rubber grommet
Ahh - I only had one Stihl here for a few months, and I don't remember how that worked. I can see how having the cap (without the tabs) might help though

Latest posts

Back