Makita 6800 muffler problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dimark1009

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Guys,

A customer brought me a Makita 6800 chainsaw in , he said the muffler bolts wont stay tight and the muffler gasket is torn.

OK...

question 1 - is their any of the loctite products I could put on the bolt threads to try and keep them tight? I inspected the threads on the bolts and in the jug, both seem OK.

question 2- the exhaust gasket, I have the partially torn gasket, when I looked at it I realiized it looks close to the gasket out of a Stihl 031 I had sitting on the bench next to it.

I matched the 2 gaskets up and holy cow, they are both the same, bolt pattern and all. now I cant find a part number for a Stihl 031 AV exhaust gasket, anyone know what it is ?

Thanks,

Only 1 reason muffler bolts are not staying tight on a PS6800 Dolmar or a Makita version that you have it is called DULL CHAIN..... If the guy would keep a sharp chain and keep the saw under load the muffler would not vibrate loose. Inspect the threads in the jug real well they do wear and then a helicoil job would be needed other than that use blue loctite on the threads, The original design had the 6mm bolt then 2 bellowed washers then the muffler then the gasket and heat shield. All the above parts are available from Dolmar dealers I generally sub 1 of the bellowed washers for a grade 8 1/4" lockwasher.

Scott

I have to disagree, I run SHARP chain all the time and I had the muffler of a 6800 and a 6801...? fall off. Lost the dang bolt on one is the brush. Loctite cured the problem, but I dont think they ever had any on there to begin with. I've never had a muffler just "fall off" like that before.

Back