Massive conifer thinning project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigsnowdog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a reforestation project that requires extensive thinning. Some of that thinning need results from my errors in the initial planting. I planted too many conifers.

Having said that, I have a 9 acre field in which I need to take out approximately 500 trees this year. They are scotch pines that measure 10 inches at the base, some a bit smaller. I also have several hundred white pines I need to thin, numbering approximately 200.

My wish was to cut them at ground level, so as to not leave stumps for the big mower later. Realistically, I think that method will take too much time. Something I am considering doing is to cut them off at about waist high; the height at which I can wade into them and cut through the trunk without bending. My idea is that I can move faster that way. I realize it will make a terrible mess, but it will more quickly get the cut trees out of the way of the remaining trees, so as to not impede their growth.

I will still have to cut the short part later, but it will give relief to the trees left standing. One concern I have is one of fire hazard, should it take me a long time to get them all dragged out.

I have never done this kind of thing before, and am interested in experienced views on this situation.

If only I could get into the way-back machine and go back to the time of this planting, and increase the spacing.....

Last edited:
Dropping 700 ten inch dia trees and leaving short stumps is work, but not that much work. Just go down on one knee and make your cuts at a couple inches and your back will be fine. Caveat; safety first. Sometimes the waist high stump is the only safe stump. You could look at cutting each stump twice as twice as much work.
Getting rid of the trees is the real killer.
{Barnum & Bailey were having an expensive time getting rid of their elephant, lion and tiger etc pooh. Cost a bunch to take to the local dumps. Then they started selling exotic fertilizer. BINGO.}
So who you gonna sell those 10" pretty pine logs to? Think of yourself as a commercial thinner. Not just a plane ol' thinner.
Your best bet might be to contract someone with a small mid-sized piece of equipment that could yard those stems to a place where firewood could be cut. Let those folks take care of the limb bumping.
How fast is all of this growing? Would waiting 3-4 years get you a better stem to sell?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that leaving those tall stumps will get in the way of dragging the thinned material out. That is whether you're doing it with equipment or armstrong technology.

Around here, they intentionally plant too many trees. And thinning is a regular thing. I think this is done because not all seedlings will survive. Animals will eat them, etc.

I suppose you don't need to cut them all down at once? Why not cut a few, drag them out, then cut a few more, etc?

Have you felled trees before?

Also I think there is an exact science as to *which* trees get selected for thinning. Might want to poke around on the following web site. Don't know if it will help you or not...
http://www.cof.orst.edu/cof/extended/extserv/

Cut 'em low the first time. Don't compound your errors of the past with more errors. Trees of this size will be much easier to remove as one piece rather than most of a tree and a bunch of 3 foot pieces.

I would also suggest removing them as you cut, say 20 or 30 at a time. It will make the clean-up process easier and safer. Make a cutting plan and work it in an orderly fashion.

What are you using for equipment? Sounds like the perfect job for my Kubota and Farmi winch.

Did you ever build that chipper? (or am I thinking about someone else?)

Billy_Bob said:
Around here, they intentionally plant too many trees. And thinning is a regular thing. I think this is done because not all seedlings will survive. Animals will eat them, etc.

I suppose you don't need to cut them all down at once? Why not cut a few, drag them out, then cut a few more, etc?

Have you felled trees before?

Also I think there is an exact science as to *which* trees get selected for thinning. Might want to poke around on the following web site. Don't know if it will help you or not...
http://www.cof.orst.edu/cof/extended/extserv/

I intentionally planted too many, for reasons of mortality. I had a period of time when I had a lot of trouble with gophers and also some drought. There was an interplanting to compensate for mortality. My spacing would have been fine, if the entire stand had been hardwoods. Another issue is that Scotch pines have a lot smaller projected life span than was was suggested 25 years ago. So.... In retrospect, it was a bad call regarding a species to plant. I am going to take out 90-95% of the Scotch pines, leaving whites and various spruces.

As for waiting, procrastination has gotten me into a nearly crisis mode. I don’t want to repeat an error I made on another, smaller planting, that dramatically revealed all that is wrong with overcrowded conifer plantings.

Yes, I have felled trees before.

I will examine that site, thank you for that lead.

Newfie said:
Cut 'em low the first time. Don't compound your errors of the past with more errors. Trees of this size will be much easier to remove as one piece rather than most of a tree and a bunch of 3 foot pieces.

I would also suggest removing them as you cut, say 20 or 30 at a time. It will make the clean-up process easier and safer. Make a cutting plan and work it in an orderly fashion.

What are you using for equipment? Sounds like the perfect job for my Kubota and Farmi winch.

Did you ever build that chipper? (or am I thinking about someone else?)

I have been thinking about your thought on removal in once piece, compared to two pieces.

I have a Kubota L245DT, a 24 hp 4X4, that I can pull with. Also, I have a John Deere 5500, a 73 hp 4X4. I have used it to push and pile big conifers before.

Yes, you remember correctly, and no, I have never built one. Time, time, time..... there just is not enough.

Thought about a skidder atachment for that Kubota? Kind of a pricey piece of equipment at $2600, but you do have quite a bit of skidding to do. Brave product over in Illinois makes them, you should check into one for your Kubota. Have one on my NH2120 and it is the cat's @$$. You could skid out 3 or 4 ot a time with it, and stack it all up for future cutting. Use a cylinder for your top link, and you can even get the logs loaded on a deckover trailer. Might be something to look at, and if you areas like mine when your done take it to the farm action and the Canadian buyers would probably snatch it up for a very fair price, saw one here go for around $2300 so....

cunrya said:
Thought about a skidder atachment for that Kubota? Kind of a pricey piece of equipment at $2600, but you do have quite a bit of skidding to do. Brave product over in Illinois makes them, you should check into one for your Kubota. Have one on my NH2120 and it is the cat's @$$. You could skid out 3 or 4 ot a time with it, and stack it all up for future cutting. Use a cylinder for your top link, and you can even get the logs loaded on a deckover trailer. Might be something to look at, and if you areas like mine when your done take it to the farm action and the Canadian buyers would probably snatch it up for a very fair price, saw one here go for around $2300 so....

I think that kind of attachment would be great, but I would rather attach it to the loader on my 5500 John Deere. I don't like all the facing backwards you would be doing with it on the back.

Good idea, though.... thank you.

Another angle here. A few years ago I was caretaking a managed forest, mostly Douglas Fir, they were planted around 30-35 years ago and most were 12"-18"+ dia.. They needed thinning and the company that owned the land got in a feller/buncher for the job. It made very short work of the surrounding woods and left nice neat rows as well as hauled out the de-branched logs in 20ft lengths. A small 5 acre section behind my abode was done in less than a day. If time is of a concern you might want to check out if there is one available in your area and inquire as to a % of sawlog type of deal and get the job done for you. If you're going to do it yourself Newfies' advice is very good, plan ahead and proceed in an orderly and safe fashion. Just my 0.2$ worth. :)

Bigsnowdog said:
Yes, you remember correctly, and no, I have never built one. Time, time, time..... there just is not enough.

Ain't that the truth, even if there were 48 hours in a day. :)

Your thinning project sounds like a fun job. 73hp w/ a larger farmi winch and you could probably skid them out 7 or 8 at a time.

Ten inches at the base sounds like chipper food for sake of expediency unless pulp or OSB prices are real high in your neck of the woods.

hey bigsnow you might have a misunderstanding on the skidder. Goes on the three point and you drag them out. no backwards work unless you are loading them onto something. I believe the jaws open to 30 some inches, so with that larger deere with the loader, must for the counter weight you could skid out whatever you could clamp onto. A side note, they make them that attach to the front of a bobcat, I've been meaning to make a quick attach bracket for my loader, then you could front or rear mount it for a totally versitile machine. Ten times faster than skidding with chains ect.

Farmi Winch for sale

Bigsnowdog said:
I have a reforestation project that requires extensive thinning. Some of that thinning need results from my errors in the initial planting. I planted too many conifers.

Having said that, I have a 9 acre field in which I need to take out approximately 500 trees this year. They are scotch pines that measure 10 inches at the base, some a bit smaller. I also have several hundred white pines I need to thin, numbering approximately 200.

My wish was to cut them at ground level, so as to not leave stumps for the big mower later. Realistically, I think that method will take too much time. Something I am considering doing is to cut them off at about waist high; the height at which I can wade into them and cut through the trunk without bending. My idea is that I can move faster that way. I realize it will make a terrible mess, but it will more quickly get the cut trees out of the way of the remaining trees, so as to not impede their growth.

I will still have to cut the short part later, but it will give relief to the trees left standing. One concern I have is one of fire hazard, should it take me a long time to get them all dragged out.

I have never done this kind of thing before, and am interested in experienced views on this situation.

If only I could get into the way-back machine and go back to the time of this planting, and increase the spacing.....

Saw this ad on another site that you may or may not be interested in.

farmi winch for sale
315-497-1199
$3,500

Whiteindustries said:
Saw this ad on another site that you may or may not be interested in.

farmi winch for sale
315-497-1199
$3,500

That's pretty expensive unless it's one of the biggest models.

Latest posts

Back