• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Mastermind Stihl MS661 Top End Kit & Muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a real-deal-Holyfield, fully monkeyed Stihl MS661 top end kit and muffler. Randy sold a couple of these earlier this year and I bought one with the intention of putting it on my MS661 C-MR. Hard to pass up a bolt-on ported saw kit without the wait!! He made all of his modifications to the cylinder, then tested the top end on a saw for a short time. The muffler was also modded by Randy, but is brand new and has never seen use. From what I understand he cuts the base & combustion chamber, does his magic to the transfers and ports, and also used Devcon epoxy on the bottom of the intake port to raise it and increase the pressure in the crankcase. The muffler gets gutted, opened up, and a larger mesh spark screen installed. I could be forgetting something or not exactly accurate on the description (couldn't find the original thread to reference), but if you have specific questions give Randy a shout as I gave him a heads-up that I'd be selling this kit (didn't want him to think I bought it just to flip) and being the good guy he is he said to have the buyer contact him with any questions.

Before I had a chance to make the top end swap I ended up selling my 661 to fund another addition to my collection. I hung on to the kit for awhile figuring another 661 would come along, but now a different opportunity has presented itself and the kit needs a new home so I can add to the "saw account". I opened the box to look at the goodies, but never did anything beyond that. It's exactly as I received it and will even ship in the box I received it in.

I bought this kit for $500 shipped, and that's what I'm selling it for. If you're interested, but not up for the task of making the swap yourself PM me and we can work something out. Also, I don't get discounts on new saws, but I'd be happy to pick up a new one here locally and put the kit in before shipping it.

And finally, since I know you're wondering . . . YES the kit DOES include a MMWS STICKER!!!!

Thanks!

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG

Is this still available? Does it require advancing the timing any? This won't hinder using the saw for firewood cutting any will it? IE: overheating or anything like that?

Yes, it is still available. If memory serves, the timing does not need to be advanced; this kit will get all the power you need. The modifications done to this p/c and muffler are for work saws (i.e. Mastermind Work Saws), and will generally reduce heat while improving performance which means a faster/stronger saw that may very well last longer than a stock saw. There is TONS of information available about ported saws on this forum is you search around.

Back