McCulloch 640 - Mission accomplished

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Lyngdal

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I picked up a lot of saws on Craigslist for $75 and had a friend of mine pick them up for me.

CL Saws.jpg
I couldn't really tell from the ad picture what they all were, but also know that I wasn't going to be on the short side of value. The 640 intrigued me, so it was the first to get attention. It fired on prime, so it needed to be cleaned and the carburetor rebuilt. I completed those tasks today and it runs like a champ.
IMG_1469.JPG IMG_1470.JPG

80cc reed valve gear drive saw will pull a lot more .404 chain that it is currently wearing.

The Poulan is a 4200CV, I was hoping that it was a 5200 when I saw it in the picture.
It runs on prime and no surprise the carburetor is a mess. Don't have any Tillotson kits on hand, so I ordered a couple today to get it running.

The SP80 has spark, but didn't fire on prime. I don't have a compression gauge for the smaller diameter, but I suspect there are piston or cylinder issues.

My Homelite gear drive saws have a gear oil reservoir and a bar oil reservoir, but I've only found on oil reservoir on the 640 located front and center on the saw. I suspect that it is for bar oil, but I wanted to make sure before I filled it.

The black knob on the top of the gear case if for bar oil.

The gear oil filler is a slotted pipe plug down on the side of the gear case. Circled in red to make it easier to find...

DSC02329.1.jpg

Fill to the bottom of the filler hole; manual says 140 gear oil but I go with 80-90 gear oil since I don't run it for hours on end in warmer weather.

Mark

Latest posts

Back