Me latest batch of slab photos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matildasmate

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Finally got me camera working again , so here is a few photos of some Blackwood I slabbed up a couple of days ago , this is one of the small logs . Blackwood (Acacia Melanoxylon) around here , normally does not grow any bigger than about 3' - 4' across max , mainly average about couple of feet across . These slabs were about 7'-8' long 50mm thick . Regards MM

Not much diff

MM.. mate! Brilliant stuff. I like it - a lot!

What's the difference between this and Tassie Blackwood?

:cheers:

Hi Bob Not much difference , all the same species , its a bit like humans , just some small differences in the genes or strains , all pretty much the same . they say the biggest ones grow in Victoria and Tasmania .http://www.anbg.gov.au/acacia/species/A-melanoxylon.html

BEAUTIFUL... once again I say... I envy you guys down there with your beautiful exotic dark dense hardwoods found no place else on earth.

Last edited:
Might nice stuff, we don't have it here in WA. I have a couple of 4" x 12" x 1" (that's inches) pieces of Tassie Blackwood in my shed I plan to make some hand tools from. I think I paid $12 for one piece and $10 for another!! :eek:

Blackwood prices

Might nice stuff, we don't have it here in WA. I have a couple of 4" x 12" x 1" (that's inches) pieces of Tassie Blackwood in my shed I plan to make some hand tools from. I think I paid $12 for one piece and $10 for another!! :eek:

Hi Bob Yeah I got some prices off of the net for Blackwood the other day , $500 a square metre for 40-60mm thick or 1 3/4"-2 1/2" , I use all measurements mate , had to when I worked in the store years ago , bushels , pounds , kilos , metric , inchs , perch , chain and so on , was a learning experience mate , it was good . cheers MM http://www.bowerbirdtimber.com/species.htm

you say blackwood I say black acacia

Nice looking slabs. They look a bit on the heavy side, you did say 50mm thick x 7-8'long? In the states acacia melonoxin is known as black acacia and grows all over CA and is considered by many to be a noxious weed tree and despised as a source or alleries. I have a bit of wood left from the branch of a 48" diameter black acacia tree and I have dibs on a bit of the wood from a 60" diameter one scheduled to come out. I don't know what other parts of the US black acacia grows in but it is in almost all parts of CA along with acacia baileyana aka golden wattle

There is also a fair amount of silk oak growing in CA, for those that are not familiar with silk oak may know it as lacewood. There are a few other Aussie woods we have growing around here that are such a familiar part of the landscape that we tend to think of them as native.

Blackwood

Nice looking slabs. They look a bit on the heavy side, you did say 50mm thick x 7-8'long? In the states acacia melonoxin is known as black acacia and grows all over CA and is considered by many to be a noxious weed tree and despised as a source or alleries. I have a bit of wood left from the branch of a 48" diameter black acacia tree and I have dibs on a bit of the wood from a 60" diameter one scheduled to come out. I don't know what other parts of the US black acacia grows in but it is in almost all parts of CA along with acacia baileyana aka golden wattle

There is also a fair amount of silk oak growing in CA, for those that are not familiar with silk oak may know it as lacewood. There are a few other Aussie woods we have growing around here that are such a familiar part of the landscape that we tend to think of them as native.

Hi Bluerider I was surprised to here you guys have them growing over there , but not surprised to here they are growing like a weed , they are very hardy and grow extremely easy , almost anywhere . Thats some good size trees by the sounds of it mate , have fun . I would like to see some pics when you get around to chopping up the trees . Cheers MM

Hi Bob Yeah I got some prices off of the net for Blackwood the other day , $500 a square metre for 40-60mm thick or 1 3/4"-2 1/2" , I use all measurements mate , had to when I worked in the store years ago , bushels , pounds , kilos , metric , inchs , perch , chain and so on , was a learning experience mate , it was good . cheers MM http://www.bowerbirdtimber.com/species.htm

WOW... if did the math right, a square meter 60mm thick comes out to about 25 bd ft. This mornings exchange rate puts your $500 about $446 US for that 25bd ft, or almost $18 (US dollars) per bd ft. So that stuff is indeed expensive wood, but then it looks like it.

Just curious, are your common plentiful hardwoods, like our oak/cherry/walnut here in states, in the $5-6 per bd ft range down there like they are here? Or do you folks just pay a bit more for wood in general down there?

Timber prices and whats available

WOW... if did the math right, a square meter 60mm thick comes out to about 25 bd ft. This mornings exchange rate puts your $500 about $446 US for that 25bd ft, or almost $18 (US dollars) per bd ft. So that stuff is indeed expensive wood, but then it looks like it.

Just curious, are your common plentiful hardwoods, like our oak/cherry/walnut here in states, in the $5-6 per bd ft range down there like they are here? Or do you folks just pay a bit more for wood in general down there?

Woodshop saddly if you go too a hardware store around here , only types of timber your likely to get is Monterey pine (Radiata pine) salt treated pine , Meranti , what they call Tasmanian oak (just a mixture of simular gums) stringgybark and all the usual garbo like panel board , partical board , same thing , as for anything else expect to pay through the nose for it , or do as we do cut it up ourselves . I will have to work out what a board foot is . Yes there are lots of different trees growing around here or near here , Stringgybark , Redgum , Blackwood , Wattle , Banksia , cypress and heaps of others , as for buying it around here , I dont even know anyone that mills it . Cheers MM Radiata pine 90mm x 35mm roughly $1.80-$2.00 a metre 140mm x 35mm about $7.00 -$8.00 a metre

Last edited:
Woodshop saddly if you go too a hardware store around here , only types of timber your likely to get is Monterey pine (Radiata pine) salt treated pine , Meranti , what they call Tasmanian oak (just a mixture of simular gums) stringgybark and all the usual garbo like panel board , partical board , same thing , as for anything else expect to pay through the nose for it , or do as we do cut it up ourselves . I will have to work out what a board foot is . Yes there are lots of different trees growing around here or near here , Stringgybark , Redgum , Blackwood , Wattle , Banksia , cypress and heaps of others , as for buying it around here , I dont even know anyone that mills it . Cheers MM Radiata pine 90mm x 35mm roughly $1.80-$2.00 a metre 140mm x 35mm about $7.00 -$8.00 a metre

A bd ft generally speaking (technically a bit different) is 1 x 12 x 12 inches. There are 25.4mm to the inch, so 12 inches is about 305mm. A bd ft here would then be approx 25mm x 305mm x 305mm. So your pine 90x35mm that sells for $2 a meter (close to a 3.5" x 1.5", or what we sell as a 2x4 here) would be around $5 for an 8 ft stud. That 140 x 35mm (basically a 2x6 here) would be $15-17 for an 8 footer. Thats a bit more expensive than we can get lumber for here. I can see why milling your own would be so important. Still... some of the stuff you have down there is drop dead beautiful wood you can't get anywhere else. Location location location.

Interesting, thanks for the info... back to my wooshop.

Last edited:
Thats a bit more expensive than we can get lumber for here. I can see why milling your own would be so important. Still... some of the stuff you have down there is drop dead beautiful wood you can't get anywhere else. Location location location.

Yep, we generally pay more than you guys for everything. Smaller turnovers, more government rakeoffs, and no illegals working on minimum or less (take these whichever way you want ;-) ).

Imperial measurements

A bd ft generally speaking (technically a bit different) is 1 x 12 x 12 inches. There are 25.4mm to the inch, so 12 inches is about 305mm. A bd ft here would then be approx 25mm x 305mm x 305mm. So your pine 90x35mm that sells for $2 a meter (close to a 3.5" x 1.5", or what we sell as a 2x4 here) would be around $5 for an 8 ft stud. That 140 x 35mm (basically a 2x6 here) would be $15-17 for an 8 footer. Thats a bit more expensive than we can get lumber for here. I can see why milling your own would be so important. Still... some of the stuff you have down there is drop dead beautiful wood you can't get anywhere else. Location location location.

Hi Woodshop Yeah mate , I was a bit slack , I got off me bum and measured the wood , What we call 4" x 1 1/2" or 90mm x 35mm is actualy 3 1/2" x 1 1/2" and same for 6" x 1 1/2" or 140mm x 35mm is actualy 5 1/2" x 1 1/2" . Prabably another long story , I have worked in a few sawmills around here , starting as a Tallyman then docker grader and destacker also ,greenchain hand stacker , greenchain trimsaws , greenchain auto stacker op , drymill moulder op , greenmill edger op , logyard log roller (bloody dangerous job that) and heaps of others . Also worked at 3 different sawmills on 4 occasions , I guess I never got the sawdust out of me blood . what we call 4" x 2" is actualy 3 1/2" x 1 3/4" going by memory , which started out as around 4" x 2" or about 100mm x 50mm , once plained 4x2 ends up being 90mm x 45mm , somewhat smaller . As for imperial or metric measurements , they are all the same to me , during my lifetime we have gone , in money , from pennys , shilings and pounds to cents and dollars , as to measurements , we have gone from ounces , pounds , quarts , gallons , inches ,yards , miles , furlongs etc , to metric . I supose we will be using chinese money soon the way things are going . I hope this is not too confusing . Hey thanks for the info on board feet , I remember watchin my oldman calculating loads of logs , he was a pinefaller years ago , back in the days when they loaded by hand , I used to trim the trees with my 2 brothers , I was about ten then , with trimming axes , after dad dropped enough trees , they were very nasty axes , I remember one of me brothers splitting one of his big toes , down the middle , striaght through his new shoes , we did this for extra pocket money on holidays sometimes , they used to call this chid care back then , I loved it . Anyway enough dribbling . Cheers mm

Interesting post Matildasmate... thanks. I too worked as a logger for a while, was at the end of a saw trimming limbs and tops prior to skidding into the yard and loading 37 ft lengths on log trailers. Since I had a tractor trailer license, they used me to jocky the loads out of the woods to the hard road where trucks could pick them up and take to the mill. They had an old army all wheel drive tractor for that... was a beast, but tough as nails and would pull the heavy loads down the mud roads through the woods. Also ran the Timberjack skidder... and then a feller buncher for couple years. I never got the woods out of me even though I jumped ship and changed careers back in early 80's.

I guess that's universal world over, calling a stud a 2x4 when final product is actually the smaller dimensioned size, usually half an inch or so smaller.

Very interesting mate

Interesting post Matildasmate... thanks. I too worked as a logger for a while, was at the end of a saw trimming limbs and tops prior to skidding into the yard and loading 37 ft lengths on log trailers. Since I had a tractor trailer license, they used me to jocky the loads out of the woods to the hard road where trucks could pick them up and take to the mill. They had an old army all wheel drive tractor for that... was a beast, but tough as nails and would pull the heavy loads down the mud roads through the woods. Also ran the Timberjack skidder... and then a feller buncher for couple years. I never got the woods out of me even though I jumped ship and changed careers back in early 80's.

I guess that's universal world over, calling a stud a 2x4 when final product is actually the smaller dimensioned size, usually half an inch or so smaller.

Thats interesting mate . I too chaged careers about 17 years ago to the pulp and paper industry , been there ever since . moneys too good to do anything else , unless you want to work out in the middle of nowhere mining , which is better again . Cheers MM

Last edited:
Back