Milling 60" slabs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axetree

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have some large logs I want to get milled into slabs, I have an 090 and 56" bar but its not quite long enough for one of the logs so I haven't bought an Alaskan mill, and I have loaders and a grapple truck so. It's easy for me to move/ transport the logs so. If any one has the means to mill that size slabs I would be willing to travel some and pay/ split the wood some bug ash big walnut, oak, maple all logs are crotches/ burley/ Spaulding ect I live in MARYSVILLE Ohio 43040 please let me know if any ones interested like I said I can move the logs no problem, all woud be big really pretty slabs thanks everyone, Jason.

Hi jason can't say I'm real close to you but I might be interested in doing some milling for you. I'm about 2 hours from you. I have a 72 inch bar that would handle all that. I might be interested if you come to me. I don't have any heavy equipment to move wood around, but I have a great milling yard. Can you post some pics of the wood? Thanks N8

Pics please. Are you wanting the boards that wide? I am assuming you are, however if your not and want to get the log down to sawable size, you can always "stop sign" the log down to where you can work with it better.

Sorry having trouble posting pictures, on top the the walnut us a big can of brake cleaner for size reference the ash log beside it it way bigger than the walnut hard to tell in the pictures, some one want to come do some milling I have piles of logs and willing to pay split some of the lumber/slabs and or I can haul it to you
View attachment 315033
View attachment 315035

Are you wrapping the tape around the log to get 60"?? Hell the "logs" don't even appear to be 60" long...but the pics won't enlarge so I can't really tell. Geez...and to think I thought I was gonna get to see some 60" wood sawed up...:popcorn:

Your delusional the ash is 66" wide at the crotch and 52" at the butt and the walnut is 59" wide at the crotch and 44" at the butt

I am about an hour away I have an Alaskan mill you have a big saw , maybe we can work something out.
We could get all but a few cuts on the big one.
Send me a message if your interested.
Chad

I have a 36" bar on it now.
I think my rails are 48" But it does not take much to put longer ones on if your willing to use your saw, it's just 4 bolts.
I have an aux oiler too.

We could try out what we have on hand and see how it goes.
The bar you have is pretty big and will do up to about 52" or so.
That's a good start.
I would want to start with a smaller bar anyway till we get in the bigger cuts, the bigger the setup the harder it is to handle.
We could do everything we can and see if we think it's worth finding a larger bar for the last few cuts.
Not too sure how heavy the plank would be or how thick you wanted to make it. but I'm just going to say heavy.
I am thinking 2" or so thick would be good but am willing to listen to other thoughts on that.
We can cut the log to fit our uses.

The 60 " cut will take about a 64-65" bar not too many of those around.
One way is to take 2 or 3 old bars and weld them together if they are the same thickness it would work .
If I had the bars I wouldn't mind trying it.
A new 72" bar would run $5-650 maybe more depending on where we got it.
Throw in a couple of chains and we're into some bucks that way.
I'm going to read up on what you wrote so far and see if the pic's are working yet I couldn't get them to enlarge earlier.
I may need to edit a little after seeing the pic's.
Chad

Last edited:
Chad shoot me a txt ill send you a few pics weight is not an issue at all I can move any thing under 5ton ill buy a bar if need be just been real busy lately 9372436752

Yup those are some nice sized crotches. I would mill them a little thicker than 2 inches though. I've found that your going to lose about a half inch on big crotches (sometimes more) when you go to surface plane them. As my father in law the wood carver always says "there's always a smaller bird underneath."

I was thinking 3" or so I think they will warp some bent that big and being crotch wood, I'm not
Looking forward to surfacing them! I do urban tree removal so I'm always running into big stuff I just removed a lot of ash trees that were over 40" dbh but all but a few pieces are mulch now

I go 13/4 when I get bigger stuff like that. They seem to finish out to a size that looks good. Yeah a lot of trees get turned to chips. That's one reason why I got into milling. Its fun to try and save a few! When those slabs get dried out I have a router sled that can surface them. Post some pics when you get to milling them. Good luck n8!

I milled up some walnut up to 30" at the crotch at 4"x11' and it was really hard to move around by hand.
We had to carry it out a muddy wash up a little incline to the truck about 20 yard.
We ended up cutting them in half just to be able to lift it.
I figured I could resaw it with that thickness if I wanted.
I was thinking some of it would be for turning stock. hard to find 16/4 material.
I would think these would make nice table tops/turning stock.
Chad

I dropped by and met Jason the other day.
I threw the mill in as I was leaving on a whim.
After we took a look at the big ones and determined that we need a big bar,we found a few smaller logs that my mill would cut.
Jason took a few pic as we were sawing up some spalted maple, walnut and a cherry.
The walnut had a live colony of ants and was full of holes kind of unique. I started to scrap some of it but am curious how it would finish when it dried so I threw them in the van.
I had ants on my windshield on the way home. those dudes don't mess around.
We shared the wood and I enjoyed the work and look forward to meeting again.
I had ants on my windshield on the way home. those dudes don't mess around.

I put the wood on sticks tonight and noticed as usual those little pieces are a little bigger than they look outside.

Chad
Btw the big one was bigger than it looked in the photo, it's going to be a handfull.

Back