milling in a walnut orchard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be taking This chair along with a bunch of other furniture to the American Craft Council Show in San Francisco this comming weekend, August 3,4,5. among the 300 exhibiters there will be about 8-10 furniture makers and a half dozen wood turners, if anyone is in the area it makes for a good afternoon. the show is at Fort Mason and there is free parking at the marina green lot with a free shuttle, both a rarity in SF, but the show does charge $10 admission.

Bluerider I will see you there Sunday.

jerry-

The seat was shaped with a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a 36 grit sanding disc, then finished by block sanding starting with 50 grit on up to 600 grit. I use a straight edge laid across the top to guage the side to side symetry.

Jerry, Always nice seeing you and thanks for coming to the show.

Always sad to see orchards destroyed (I assume for development). There are opportunities to salvage just about anywhere. Thanks for posting. The only thing I would suggest is to haul as many of the logs as possible to a safe place for later milling, and maybe look into using a band mill for faster milling and better recovery rate. You've come across some amazing wood, especially with the root balls!

Back