Morbark 2100D clutch problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unatool

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My 1998 Morbark 2100D (14") 1,250 hrs. - would not engage yesterday... The twin disc pto repair guy showed me the bent output shaft. It has wormed out the lock pin and thus the clutch won't hold adjustment. We decided to order new output shaft (hooks to belts/disc) AND a whole new clutch assembly. Figured it was worth it to put the money into while we are suffering down time?
I am wondering if you have any opinions on the clutch being replaced at 1250 hours? The chipper is nice - no problems, bought it used 5 years ago for 14K. A little under powered @ 87 hp Perkins but slow is nice on our residential crew!
I sure hope the big pillow bearings dont sieze-up next week! They are the only other repair I see coming...

The parts quote came in today @ $1800 for all new clutch and output shaft. I am having the work done at the local Cat dealer and he is on day 9 of scratching his/her head. "just got to order one more part... do you want that flywheel one day air mailed?" No, I think I'll save some money - just put it on the next mule train. Spent today in the back of the chip dump cutting brush like the old days. Spending nights thinking about having an extra chipper. You know, 10 chainsaws, bucket truck, chip truck, F350, stump grinder... one chipper in the shop. fun

Try renting a chipper until your is fixed.
Or contact a local dealer for a demo (then ask if they'll rent it to you for a few extra days).

the end of the story

The shop finished the clutch/output shaft replacement for a total of near $3,000 with labor yesterday. Before this repair, my largest fix-it's have been in the $1,000 range (5 years self employed).
I bought this chipper from a used dealer - he said it was from a golf course. It had 615 hrs on it then. So, with the brand new clutch installed, I can see that the old one was worn out when I bought it. The output shaft has always been a little bent since I bought it too (slight wooble in pillow bearings) and this leads me to think this chipper saw some abuse. The local mechanic re-packed the bearings - solved a couple symptoms for my cure. I called the local shop and said thankyou. Lesson - buying used gear can have unknowns.
;) Happy to be back in 'gear'...

Latest posts

Back