Morbark Chippers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treebos1

Reaction score
Anyone own one of these? I have a 2090D with a John Deere engine, purchased in 2000. I notice Morbark uses more Perkins and Cummins engines these days...looking for feedback on why/when this "switch" took place, etc.

The engine is cracked on mine, less than 700 hours and John Deere won't honor the warranty even though it's been in their authorzed service facility since JUNE 2002 and the mechanic just "discovered" the crack in December. Supposedly a manufacturer's defect; problem with the casting.

post here or email me directly if you know anything that might offer insight. Thanks! :(

Yes of course we have sold several 2090-D chippers and they have been excellent machines. John Deere generally has a good reputation in the industry. However, as you are finding out the engine is only as good as the support available for the machine. Personally I like Perkins engines. I have had to repl. several alternators (about a 20min wait at our shop) and on injection pump.

I have sold the more Perkins than any other. I have sold several Cummins engines and have had 4 lift pumps replaced and it always costs something to take it to the dealer. They will find some way to charge you if it kills them. A couple of John Deere engines have been sold and I cant keep a throttle cable on them. Other than that they have been reliable.

What you need to do is contact Morbark. The reason for this is simply because more than likely the authorized dealer in your area can really care less about chippers. However, the person who sells Morbark their John Deere engines will have a vested stake. This is the guy who can help you. I could find out who sells to Morbark if need be, however, that should not be necessary. If you can successfully plead your case and you really are getting a raw deal then this is the way I would proceed. It sounds that you have a ligitimate complaint and between Morbark and JD they should find a way to take care of you. It would not be a bad idea to contact your local dealer. If this engine fails you in short the chipper has failed you and that chipper says Morbark on the side of it. I would not let a badly handled warranty issue effect the reputation of the product I sell. I hope this helps you and Good Luck.

Yeah, Paul makes a great point. The one problem most of the manufacturers have (this would not be Morbark specific) would be that most of the dealers cannot warranty the engines sold on the units. It takes a lot of money and a lot of time to really get hooked in on being a warranty dealer. Like Cicero mentioned he has few warranties on these engines. 20 warranties on engines per year wouldn't be worth getting set up as a warranty center. I agree with Cicero also that Morbark really will not like to stake their reputation on JD. They may not want your orange chipper on their basically green lot.:D Go to www.morbark.com and email somebody about your problem. If you send it to the wrong department first, don't worry it will get in the right hands. Paul do you have any names to drop? Good luck and let us know what happened.

Latest posts

Back