Mosquitos and Bugs in the woods...How do you deal with them?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has long been my opinion that the idea that Skin-So-Soft repels mosquitos is a ploy by some old lady to sell more Avon. I've lived in the swamps of South Carolina, the mountains of Virginia, and the cold flat place called Minnesota. One thing is for sure, you use Skin-So-Soft and you're going to be greasy, bug bit, and smell like a girl..:tongue2:

The best stuff I've used was during my time in the Marines. The old GI bug juice. Went on like sun tan lotion, and in a few short moments you could feel the burn. I am fairly certain it darkened your already tanned hide another shade every time you put it on. A bear wouldn't bite you if you had the stuff on. Only thing close to it is the Deep Woods Off. It has a mild warm glow to it, similiar to IceyHot.

I've been raised in Louisiana and there are lots of things that my skin is allergic to, one being deet.
So, I've searched this subject for years and found that Regular Flavor Colgate Toothpaste applied to bites liberally then wet down and rubbed in on and in a big circle around the bite helps. Reapply often.
My repellent is clothing AND Window cleaner. Windex sprayed in a mist in the air up wind seems to discourage them. Late in the evening I've had them swarm me while I was filing a chain. Sprayed in the air, held my breath and got clear of the mist then caught fresh air and had some few minutes of no mosquito. Had to repeat as needed. Also every year I build mosquito traps and hang them about. Several in my shop. Here we don't have many biting flies. Yellow Jackets like to have killed me last year. Fortunately I was armed with spray and ran into a building. God loves me, my dog might but insects leave no question. You are a sack lunch, a happy meal. So taste bad and let them find a taco.

I 2nd what Zogger says!! Good stuff, all I can add is that the bugs follow you by your Co2 trail. Sometimes a vehicle at idle acts as one hell of a decoy. We always leave the truck running when we launch the boat way up north in Canada. You can see the "cloud" of skeeters near the exaust pipe as you are walking back up to the truck. The skeeters see CO1 as the same as CO2 that is whay all those skeeter traps burn propane, to create CO1, carbon monoxide.

Also instead of chaps (i know not as safe) I ALWAYS wear the Carhart double front loggers when I'm in the woods.

My opinion is coming from walking 10s of thousands of miles along transmission power lines in a dozen east coast and northern states.

Winter does solve most trouble! Summer is my worst season, ice fishing rules!!!!!

When I'm back home splitting, I keep one of these blowing on me, keep the bugs off and helps to keep cool....(another tip, skeeters don't do wind well at all)

3_87465.jpg
Well being from Canada (Ontario) and having traveled to some REAL remote spots in the woods here I can tell you that we have lots and lots of mosquitoes.
Main reason we have so many is water. Between Ontario and Quebec, we have 1/3 of the world's fresh water on the surface.
But we have all the bugs that are nasty. Deer flies are just horrible in the hot Summers here and when you're out fishing on the boat. Monstrous sized flies. Black flies can get bad at times too. And the newest bugs are brown deer ticks, the bad kind that carry Lyme. ( 15 years ago we used to only see them down towards Lake Erie and south-west Ontario)
I attract all of them like no tomorrow, so I use every tool and product I can to keep 'em off. Lots of DEET on clothing and the lower concentrations on my skin. Wear a bug net over my hat too.

I try to be out of the woods by late spring when they come out thick. But if necessary I just use good deet spray and a headnet when the deer and horse flies get thick.

I don't know what you guys are all worried about, this thread is 7 years old, those bugs are all dead, :), Joe.

I was wondering who dug this thing out, it's 10 degrees here.

Summer is the time for me to ride motorcycles and enjoy being outdoors. I deal with firewood in the winter.

Sawyer insect repellent is the best thing I have ever used for chiggers and ticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never cut firewood in the woods in the summer. Too hot, too much brush, but mostly too many dang Bugs! This is the first year I've got access to my woods with a truck so if the urge hits me to fire up a saw (and I'm sure it will!) I'd like to know some tips for battlin' the bugs.

I don't mind the weeds and sweat but I cannot stand the skeeters,gnats, horseflies and the like. Any suggestions on what works to keep them at bay is appreciated. I live in central Ohio so keep that in mind as it varies from region to region for some of the tiny critters. Thanks for any tips!

Add more oil to your fuel/oil mix!Rev the saw a couple of times when you're out of the cut.It'll drive the little pests away.

Latest posts

Back