• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Withdrawn Moved to Chainsaw Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer_Nate

Better Saws are Better...and Gut that Muffler!
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want business advice or help, please.

The deal is that I make aftermarket saw parts, specifically felling spikes. I want access to saws to make new parts. I want to test fit and function and make sure parts look good and fit correctly. I don't want to have to buy a new saw for every new product. I do NOT need to run the saw to test fit the parts, however I prefer to have a saw in my hands for several weeks for fine tuning the part fit and for taking photographs of the finished product.

Here is what I imagine as my options. Please advise or give tips.

1) Buy a new saw for every project, then re-sell the saw. This is an expensive and losing proposition.
2) Get access to new saws at a dealer for fit test. This does not really work, either, because saws could be scratched or otherwise damaged which makes dealers squeamish.
3) Buy a used saw for every project. This may be doable but somewhat of a hassle. Time and money is spent buying then re-selling the saw. A possible solution, however.
4) Find local users of the saw I want, then work with the owner. Maybe pay them a fee for use of the saw for a few weeks. It is hard to gain that trust and assure the user the saw won't be run or damaged.

What is the best solution?
How have other companies done this? I don't simply copy the OEM design but start from scratch for what I think would work best, so simply copying OEM shape won't cut the mustard.

Thanks

Finding someone local that you can “partner” with seems to be the best idea in my mind. Not partner with as in a financial investing partnership sense but in the research and development sense. You borrow their saws and let them test products out so they can get field experience with your products and give feedback.

It is unlikely a local will have every saw you’d want to make something for so finding certain saws will still be a hurdle.

If you were closer I’d happily let you borrow mine. Not sure I’d want to ship them to you but I’m not opposed to taking measurements off what I have if that helps in any way 🤷‍♂️

Buying and reselling used saws isn’t a bad option. Depending on what parts you’re making you could get basketcases that don’t run for cheap and keep them to be used in the future. Or fix and sell or scrap them or whatever.

If you were to buy new saws and use them I doubt you’d have much trouble selling them if you explain what you’re doing with them and maybe toss in some of your upgrade parts with the deal 🤷‍♂️

I want business advice or help, please.

The deal is that I make aftermarket saw parts, specifically felling spikes. I want access to saws to make new parts. I want to test fit and function and make sure parts look good and fit correctly. I don't want to have to buy a new saw for every new product. I do NOT need to run the saw to test fit the parts, however I prefer to have a saw in my hands for several weeks for fine tuning the part fit and for taking photographs of the finished product.

Here is what I imagine as my options. Please advise or give tips.

1) Buy a new saw for every project, then re-sell the saw. This is an expensive and losing proposition.
2) Get access to new saws at a dealer for fit test. This does not really work, either, because saws could be scratched or otherwise damaged which makes dealers squeamish.
3) Buy a used saw for every project. This may be doable but somewhat of a hassle. Time and money is spent buying then re-selling the saw. A possible solution, however.
4) Find local users of the saw I want, then work with the owner. Maybe pay them a fee for use of the saw for a few weeks. It is hard to gain that trust and assure the user the saw won't be run or damaged.

What is the best solution?
How have other companies done this? I don't simply copy the OEM design but start from scratch for what I think would work best, so simply copying OEM shape won't cut the mustard.

Thanks

I can tell you what I do.. I either get a "sample" then re-engineer the part to make it better or sometimes we need more than just the part that needs to be updated. Sometimes I don't know how much clearance I have to make updates, so I need more information. Yes, there are times I can't get the physical part, so sometimes I get a computer file and go from there.

For felling spikes, well the mounting wont change and I doubt they would hang lower than stock? correct? So, all your doing is making them taller, longer, and probably beefier? Or fancier looking? If so, all you really need is an OEM spike or a drawing of one to re-engineer off of. Of course it would be nice to see how it looks on the SAW and that's when you either get into the 2D or 3D modeling of the SAW on your computer, or spend money on the most popular saws to have on hand..

maybe ask the smaller local shops who mainly work on used equipment, maybe offer to pay half or all of the customers repair bill for use of there saw

What I do for my line of specific aftermarket Triumph motorcycle parts, I only cut, machine and weld specific parts fir the ones I OWN, no exceptions, but then a bike is a bit more costly than a chainsaw anyway. I sell them worldwide btw. If I see a specific need, I engineer them myself in my machine and fab shop, I don't copy any design, ever and I hold patents on at least 2 of my designs and one is pending for what a patent today is worth, which is not much because the Chinese don't care about patents anyway. I just produce them cheaper than they can. I've sold literally hundreds world wide over the last couple years. Never considered 'borrowing' a bike, I just buy them new.

Latest posts

Back