MS 200T intake boot leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul.r

Reaction score
Greetings from Germany!
I've been learning a lot from this forum and decided to become a member today! Now to my first question.
I just finnished rebuilding an ms200t and while giving it a pressure test, I noticed that the intake boot was leaking where it is connected to the cylinder. The Intake boot is new and I noticed that the plastic ring to seal it went on much tighter than with the old one wich made me quite confident, but it still leaks. I started the saw and let it idle for a little bit and it is running just fine but I'm still concerned.
Now my question is, is this even a problem since the intake boot normally dosen't stand under a lot of pressure and because I can't tighten the intake boot in any way because the saw only has the plastic ring to fit over the intake flange?

You use OEM parts?
The new intake boot is not OEM, but just from the feel it seemed a lot better than the old one. Never had a Problem with the aftermarket ones on other saws where they had a hose clamp to tighten the intake boot down, just noticed it on the 200.
Do you think an OEM one will be better?

Yes, OEM would be better. Aftermarket is 50/50 at best.
It does sit nice and tight on the intake flange and the plastic ring to fixate it also went on very tight so I reckon it seals about as good as it can. But I guess I can get an OEM one and see if that helps.
But do you thing the leak will be a problem for the saw? Because it does hold vacuum and usally the intake boot dosen't stand under a lot of overpressure.

on a 200t the bushings are a point of contention..as they weaken and the climber gets stronger...he keeps the pressure on the guide bar and the "connection" point is the intake boot...so you might not see a leak until it is stressed. an intake boot on a 200t is an OEM must for me. I like to change out the bushings seasonally on full time service use 200ts...they get more use than any other tool on a tree removal

It does sit nice and tight on the intake flange and the plastic ring to fixate it also went on very tight so I reckon it seals about as good as it can. But I guess I can get an OEM one and see if that helps.
But do you thing the leak will be a problem for the saw? Because it does hold vacuum and usally the intake boot dosen't stand under a lot of overpressure.
The fact you’ve detected a leak and are concerned about it warrants replacing with a OEM part. You’ll feel better in the end I’m sure of it.

Latest posts

Back