MS 280 Mystery

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumberjackchef

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
:confused: Ok, I have done several searches about problems that have been reported to have happened with this model. Some of the threads reported similar problems to what I'm experiencing with this saw but not exact. Here are the symptoms :

Runs great when first started up.
Great acceleration, quick return to smooth idle.
Cuts great for the first few minutes, as long as you leave it upright.
When you lay it over on its side it will cut good for a few inches.
It will then die, unless you turn it back upright and feather it back to operating RPM.

It started doing this a while back and then finally it just wouldn't run at all. I took the coil and had it checked and it was bad. Had them get me a new one (under warranty). While I had it apart I also performed these tasks:

Replaced diaphragms in carb.
New spark plug.
vacuum tested fuel tank, fuel line, crankcase w/ intake in place.
Fuel filter still fairly new.

Everything seems to be in order but I could not find are the vacuum specs that I should be looking for on this saw.

And as for the saw, it still exhibits the exact same behavior.

If anyone could give me some specifics as to the procedure of actual testing and what I should be looking for it would be greatly appreciated.

Or any other suggestions of what I may have overlooked.

Is it stlll under warranty? Even if it's not I'd complain.. Sounds like carb to me, or a crank seal (unlikely). Don't see how the coil had anything to do with it though..

Last edited:
I am pretty sure it is a carb issue. They told me that the coil had a five year warranty. Do you have any idea if the carb would still be under warranty? its been about three years since purchased.

I won't be needin one of those after all. Boy do I feel like an idiot. I went and tore the carb apart again and flound a clue. That clue led me to some more evidence, and finally my mystery was solved. There were a couple of droplets of good ole H20 on the diaphragms this time. See this time when it died on its side I never started it back up again. I don't know how I missed it but I guess I got some bad gas somewhere along the line. Funny thing is I can't seem to find any in my fuel containers and have never had this sort of problem in any of my other saws that I use the same gas in. Anyways, I looked down into the tank and there it was, a couple of large pockets of water in the remnants of the tank. So I dried it out and put in some fresh gas, tuned the carb and fired it up. Cut everything I put in front of it, in all positions, without a burp! Now I guess I'll be paying more attention to where I buy my gas. Thanks for the help though Andy, I appreciate the input. Have a Blessed one everybody!:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back