ms029 flywheel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grapple Man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
finally got the 029 apart. needs rings and the guy who had worked on it in the past has i believe broken the key on the flywheel. the saw would surge. idle fine then when revved woudl fall on its face for no reason. pulled the flywheel and saw the potential problem. what would you guys suggest for putting the flywheel back on? don't want to buy a new one. they aren't cheap and the saw isnt worth that much. am rebuilding the carb and putting a new set of rings on it. the piston and cylinder look like new. was thinking about loc tite the red stuff.but that would mean the end of the saw if i ever had an internal problem again. thanks in advance for the help:greenchainsaw:

Sounds like you might have an air leak as well. Do a pressure test before tearing it down or just throw new seals on the crank while you have it apart. I know you don't want to go back in there after putting the rings in. Might as well get it all at once.

Sounds like you might have an air leak as well. Do a pressure test before tearing it down or just throw new seals on the crank while you have it apart. I know you don't want to go back in there after putting the rings in. Might as well get it all at once.

thanks brad, i was considering it and your rite probably may as well. any ideas for putting the flywheel back on without the key

It's not problem. Just be sure to degrease both the flywheel and crankstub, tap it on so it wont slip, and use a torque wrench.

Back