Muffler mod , When?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rspike

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
When is the best time to do a mod on the muffler ? I have done them at new out of the box and also 4 corde later . Is there a best time to do it ?

If your going to do it, there is no point waiting, but I would be tempted to put at least a couple tanks of gas in the saw first to catch any major warranty issue. With the new EPA, E tech and what not I doubt they would look after you under waranty once you messes with the muffler and trimmed the limiters on the jets...

My 440, 460, and 660, I bought them new with dual port covers, so they were "modded" new. My 361, I ran it a while before I opened it's muffler. Don't get crazy on a muffler mod, and you could probably do it about any time, but there's no reason not to run a few tanks through it first. That would also save you any headaches, should you have bought it new, you mod it, and then five tanks later, something breaks. A muffler mod will void a warrantee, and if your dealer wants to be a jerk, he could refuse warantee work on your chain tensioner due to your muffler mod. Many will wait until after the warantee has expired before they mess with a saw.

Jeff

It depends on how much responsibility you wish to take for your own saw. If you want someone else to be responsible for it for the first year, then take Palmer's advice and don't mod it. If you've run a couple tanks of fuel through it and are confident that the saw has no major issues, and you're willing to take responsibility for it yourself, then mod away.

I just picked up two brand new Husky 372's and plan on getting them both ported. I modified the muffler and trimmed the carb stops on one of them before ever putting gas in it. The other is still in the box and will get sent straight to either Ed or Dave Neiger before it ever gets used. What's a warranty?

Hay guys,
Just wanted to know what they do to a woods mod saw? I know you guys hate the ms310 cuz its a non pro saw but i like to fittle around with stuff. I did the muffler mod and it help alot but I would like to know what they do for the "woods mod"?
Thanks
Jack

In order for a shop to deny warranty they have to prove the mod caused the failure. Most people roll over and play dead as soon as the shop balks at fixing it under warranty, but if you stick to your guns they will fix it.

All a dealer has to do to deny warranty is say NO! From there on the ball is in your court. It might be far more trouble to petition corporate headquarters to put pressure on the dealer to act. In real life it is the pretty much the customer that has to do the proving.

I'd run a few tanks through to make sure there are no problems then mod it. My opinion is that with proper use the chances of warranty repair is small once you know things are working properly.

Later, if it turns out you need major warranty work one option is to put a stock muffler back on just for the repair. Pick a used one up on ebay for $20-30 or so. Yes, I know it's a hassle but if the repair is large enough it might be worth it.

Just a few weeks ago I saw a like new 365/372 muffler going for $27.00 (buy now including shipping).

Just a thought;)

If it is a saw that the muffler cover can be swaped and it looks stock again too easy, but dealing with one piece welded cat mufflers and limiter caps makes it much more dificult to make the saw look unviolated from a warranty point of view, not to mention both are DISHONEST! if you decide to modify the saw and things go bad and you try to cover up what you did you deserve to have the warranty voided, on the other hand if you decide to open the muffler up and the chain break falls apart the dealer may well look after you being a good honest customer.

Oh well, my week old warranty cards not worth the paper its writen on, but my 359 cuts nearly 40% faster, thats the price.

modded saws

MS-310 said:
Hay guys,
Just wanted to know what they do to a woods mod saw? I know you guys hate the ms310 cuz its a non pro saw but i like to fittle around with stuff. I did the muffler mod and it help alot but I would like to know what they do for the "woods mod"?
Thanks
Jack
They will usually do what you ask. You can get a lower top speed with more or less grunt or higher top speed with more or less grunt or more grunt at any speed. It usually helps to tell the builder what you're going to use the saw for most of the time. How you run the saws. What do you want the saw to do and what are you going to run it in? Hardwood and pine are different, different chains/sprockets/bars and different speeds work in different woods. Let the builder know what you cut most of the time and what the saw is used for most of the time. I'd use a different bar length, chain and sprocket in west coast pine than I would in east coast hardwood. Talk it over with the builder. Don't just say mod this. Running a modded saw takes a different technique than running a stock saw. You'll notice it runs different the first time you touch the trigger. Is it worth the money? Ask anyone that runs them if they want to go back to stock saws, you'll hear a resounding,"NO!"

Back