MY Homemade OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch95100

Saw Nut
Reaction score
Hey all, I posted a thread a while back asking if this plan i had thought of would work. After different simple designing plans and a few flaws i came up with my own version if an outdoor wood furnace. Now i am fairly sure that this has been thought of before but, i thought of this on my own. My original dilema was that i have a shop that wasnt heated and very cold in the winter. One of my problems was that i keep gas, paint, alcohol (for painting LOL) and other fairly combustable materials, so that threw out the idea of having a burner inside, so i wanted to have an OWB that would be VERY cheap but very effective, so i got to thinking. I didnt want to have to mess with water heating and the price of the pumps,hoses, and all the other material, so i wanted to create a forced air burner. My original idea was to make a tin heat box and fix it to the top of a 55gallon barrel stove and run duct work inside and heat it that way. That seemed WAY too sloppy for my taste so i went back to the drawing board and thought a little deeper into the situation- I came up with this.
My materials-
1. 55 gallon drum with both ends
2. 30 gallon drum with both ends
3. 8 feet of 6'' duct pipe
4. 4 feet of 6'' stove pipe
5. a duct booster fan
6. a Vogelzang stove kit
7. and high temp sealant

Alright so first of all i took the 30 gal. drum and installed the stove kit in this barrel. After that was done i took the 55 gallon drum and cut out one end to fit snugly around the rim of the 30 gallon drum. Then bolting the two together i made a 6 inch hole in the 55 gallon drum to run the stove pipe from the 30 gallon (fire Box) through the 55 gallon drum and run it out. I took and marked out my hole for the duct piping snd cut that out of the larger drum, and running it out and into my shop. I then sealed her all up and fired it for the first time. I have better pics and a vid but the cameras dead so i will have to give the ones from my phone.
The first official night of heating went very well and at the pipe coming into the shop was a dead nuts 100 degrees. there is dampers on the fire box and a rigged thermostat on the booster fan. Nothing too fancy but it works and got the shop up to 75 where i wanted it and the blower only ran once every half hour for 10 minutes. Thats pretty good for an uninsulated shopa
nywho thats my homemade OWB
View attachment 275624 View attachment 275625 View attachment 275626

That's an interesting design. If I get this right, your stove is mounted outside. What are you using to move the air into your shop? More pics would help clarify your build.

Two things I think you will need are a return air duct and some sort of baffle on one side of the air chamber to have some sort of circulation. Then I guess you will have build some sort of insulated shell to keep all the heat from escaping to the outside air.
I have been told that the induction fan you have for the duct won't do it but that is second hand info at this point. If you go to the local recycling center you may be able to find an old hot air furnace blower and build some sort of housing for it.
055.jpg

In this picture, the blower will sit on the lower shelf, the upper square is just there because i had it, it's the hot air duct, the blower blows in to the furnace on the bottom.
063.jpg

I do have a blower that I can hook up if need be, the mount are all there, I just didn't think I needed it last night. Time will tell though. Like I said before I will get better pics and a video tonight.

Sent from my USCCADR3305 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back