Mystery part found

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been working on several saws the past week or so, Homelite XL / Super 2's, Homelite 360's, Jonsered 630, Plastic Craftsman 40cc, McCulloch 3200...I found this in the parts washer today and I have no idea where it might have come from. Does this look at all familiar to anyone? Paper is 1/4" grid for reference.

20220610_132315.jpg

20220610_132325.jpg'

20220610_132336.jpg

20220610_132342.jpg

20220610_132407.jpg

Mark

Looks like part of a tool more than part if a chainsaw. Like a riveter? Maybe a metal grommet install tool?

Reminds me of the time I put a Stihl chainsaw back together after a major take apart/repair.

Saw ran great afterwards and when I was cleaning and storing tools I found a important looking white plastic piece in the bottom of a plastic tray that had been holding some of the chainsaw parts/pieces. It's color and texture exactly matched some of the chainsaws pieces. I removed side covers on the saw and could see similar looking plastic, I went to computer and carefully searched the IPL, finally posted a picture on here and the model of the saw.
Day later no response, so I asked one of the expert Stihl guys in these forums his opinion. He said that is not part of that saw.
My brain finally kicked in gear thinking back and I had been working on a washing machine about 2 weeks before and using that container to hold parts/pieces and had overlooked getting all the parts/pieces out of the container.
Could not get the Kenmore white plastic washing machine part to fit into the Stihl chainsaw.

Glad you found out what it was.I was going to say it looked like a “draw”,but I don’t think anyone would have found the humor in it this early in the morning. Hope everyone has a good day!

Some behind the A/C desk of a so called Engineer that has never even manually used any of his designed chainsaws probably thought of that one,
Thinking his designed chainsaw gas tank is so vibration free I better do something to keep that oil gas mixed good.

I think maybe I've listened to that so called Engineer talk, giving advice to us end users.

I believe that once oil and gas is mixed, it stays mixed. If there are any chemists following this thread, I'm sure they will be happy to tell me I'm wrong. This "fuel agitator" doesn't exist, just someone showing how good they are at manipulating info on the internet.

I am 99% certain that the part was rattling around in the fuel tank of a McCulloch 3514 that I cleaned up and worked on last week. It is possible that the part is actually the weight off a fuel filter and that design filter was used on the 32/35/38cc models and it was just a coincidence that someone came up with the notion of the agitator when they found one in the fuel tank.

Mark

Reminds me of the time I put a Stihl chainsaw back together after a major take apart/repair.

Saw ran great afterwards and when I was cleaning and storing tools I found a important looking white plastic piece in the bottom of a plastic tray that had been holding some of the chainsaw parts/pieces. It's color and texture exactly matched some of the chainsaws pieces. I removed side covers on the saw and could see similar looking plastic, I went to computer and carefully searched the IPL, finally posted a picture on here and the model of the saw.
Day later no response, so I asked one of the expert Stihl guys in these forums his opinion. He said that is not part of that saw.
My brain finally kicked in gear thinking back and I had been working on a washing machine about 2 weeks before and using that container to hold parts/pieces and had overlooked getting all the parts/pieces out of the container.
Could not get the Kenmore white plastic washing machine part to fit into the Stihl chainsaw.
"Could not get the Kenmore white plastic washing machine part to fit into the Stihl chainsaw."

Oh, I bet you could if you tried... my late mate once fixed a fuel pump on an old Chevy LUV, I think it was - some little truck I had - with a baby bottle nipple. ;)

Latest posts

Back