Need advice re theft prevention

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoreyTMorine

User Formerly known as BlueSpruce
Reaction score
How can you lock up a chipper or trailer? Is there anyway to minimize your exposure to theft? whats a trailer lock look like?

I try and park my gear in someones backyard, usually the job site backyard :) sometimes over the weekend i chain the chipper to the tractor with a small padlock, but i still worry.

What about vandalism? my dad had the tires on his tractor slashed once, and a few towns up the road from me they burned a harvester.

i guess i'm just looking for someway to increase my peace of mind, the idea of theft makes me sick. especially on my tractor which is not insured for theft. my insurance agent said it would cost 2500$ per year to insure. That turned me off to insurance, i guess i should go and get a few more quotes.

Definitely get a few more quotes. All insurance agents are not created equal. Find someone who specializes in business insurance. If you don't feel comfortable leaving equipment on a job I wouldn't. Some jobs I do, some I don't.

Anything that has wheels/tracks, I'd put lojack on it, then if it IS stolen, you can track it down, and get it back. and if you're lucky, you might even get the lowlife who stole it, and put him behind bars for his crime.

A little money to start will offer peace of mind later, and you'll know you have a chance of getting it back.

A friend of mine has a big chunk of steel channel concreted into the ground, pointing up like a fence post. A 1/2" steel plate is welded to the top, and a ball for his trailer welded and bolted to that plate. He then locks his trailer hitch onto that ball.

I know it's hoaky, but I run a big cable and a massive padlock through the wheels and frame of my trailer. I also run the safety chains around a metal post or a tree or whatever's conveniant(carport post here at home) and lock them with the hitch padlock. I don't live in an area where theft is a huge issue, but better paranoid and wrong than overconfident and trailerless.

Google for "trailer coupler lock", here's a good one I found:

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catalog&categoryID=218

Good luck.

Put a car alarm on your tractor and chipper. That should also help keep the kids from playin on your stuff.

How about just not leaving it on someone elses property? Take it back to the barn, lot, property, whatever you call it, you know, your parking place.
I have a lock for the pintle on the chipper, I lock it up if I need to make a mid-day dump run, but that won't be for more than an hour at most.
-Ralph

I've often thought about making a removable hitch for the trailers. Along the lines of a receiver hitch but made of an odd size that would make it hard to fabricate. It's all designed in my head, I've never had the urgency to fabricate it though.

THERE you go. an oddball hitch size. that would work well, and be dang near IMPOSSIBLE to fabricate without exact specs on it.

2Coilinveins said:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/...&cp=1254884.1255142.1260226&parentPage=family

Pull up, park your trailer, disconnect your truck, drive a ground rod, use a rake handle or something else non-conductive to flip an inconspicuous switch, and drive away. Don't forget to set up a video camera to catch the action. :)

That would do it! Anyone ever been bit by an electric fence ? We had an old one that was annoying, but when we got a new one, that thing would bring you down! The one in that ad will charge 10 miles. Good idea.

Here's 3 passive anti-theft ideas for you:
1) If the trailer has high tongue weight, then disabling the jack won't allow someone to hitch up to it. That and add a hitch locking device.
2) If the trailer or trailer tongue has low weight, then I would definitely lock up the axles with a chain or cable and a hitch lock.
3) If it has brakes, figure out how to set the brake like a drag car does. A line lock I think it is called? Hide in inconspicuous place.

Why does our society put up with thieves? How many of you have been ripped off whether personal or business property? How many times have you lost sleep because you worried all night about your chipper or other equipment on a job site?

We live in a crappy world...to say it nicely.

Yellowdog said:
Why does our society put up with thieves? How many of you have been ripped off whether personal or business property? How many times have you lost sleep because you worried all night about your chipper or other equipment on a job site?

Yeah, i wish i had a buck for every time i've gone to get something out of the truck and found the passenger side door to be locked DOOOH :angry:

This thread has motivated me to go and get a big pad lock with which to lock the tractor to the trailer or chipper. Just that little action has allowed me to sleep better. The tractor has a kill switch under the seat, it trips when there is no weight in the drivers seat. my next project is to move this switch to a hidden location somewhere on the machine. the tractor is a 3130 kubota, it is a diesle. does anyone know if a kill switch like this would prevent the tractor from starting if someone were to jump the starter directly off of the positive battery terminal?
The hidden kill switch would be great if it works; but it seems to me that if you could get the motor to turn over, it would start regaurdless of a kill switch.

Tom, your idea with the removable hitches is genius! i think it will be expensive to implement on my trailer, but the chipper is well suited. after i get the truck body built i'll ask roger the welder about it. probably sometime next spring, i'll let you know how it works out.

I believe that the injection pump requires electricity. I'm guessing it opens a solenoid or valve that allows fuel to flow. When you get off the seat, electricity no longer passes, valve closes, no fuel, tractor shuts off. No fuel, tractor won't start either. Not much other way to do it without an ignition system. Maybe a flap that closes off the air supply, like the emergency kill on some Detroit's? Doubtful. Try standing next to the seat or with your behind lifted off, and try to start the tractor with the key.

Back