Need Advise On Tree Planting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron65

Reaction score
Hello all, newbie here. I have a question on a new tree planting in my yard. In the Fall of 2019 we had a t-storm roll thru here which damaged a 60 ft evergreen in our front side yard which we had to have taken down as a result. The tree provided us with some privacy so now we're looking to plant another tree in it's place. The stump & shavings were removed & I backfilled the hole with topsoil & planted grassseed. I visited a local nursery last fall & the guy working there told me I would not be able to plant another tree in that space because of the root system still there from the other tree. Does anyone have an opinion on that? I'd like to plant something this spring, possibly a Dogwood, our yard is huge so I could possibly plant two of those. I don't like hedges & a fence is out of the question. Opinions needed & thanks all!

I worked in the nursery industry for 15 years selling trees. Those roots left in the ground will not bother a new tree at all. Within a few years they will be mostly rotted away anyway. As long as you can physically get the new tree in the ground (dig the hole through or around the existing roots) you are good to go. A lot of times nurseries will say this, especially if they are planting the tree, because they don’t want to fight roots. And even if you are panting it yourself, they don’t like to warranty the tree for fear you won’t be able to plant it properly in or around the roots.
If you go with a dogwood, be super careful not to over water it. It will need watered once every 12-14 days if it’s balled and burlapped. It it’s potted, water it every 7-10 days. Do not water it everyday!!! . A watering should consist of a slow trickle soak with the hose, and around 20 gallons.

I worked in the nursery industry for 15 years selling trees. Those roots left in the ground will not bother a new tree at all. Within a few years they will be mostly rotted away anyway. As long as you can physically get the new tree in the ground (dig the hole through or around the existing roots) you are good to go. A lot of times nurseries will say this, especially if they are planting the tree, because they don’t want to fight roots. And even if you are panting it yourself, they don’t like to warranty the tree for fear you won’t be able to plant it properly in or around the roots.
If you go with a dogwood, be super careful not to over water it. It will need watered once every 12-14 days if it’s balled and burlapped. It it’s potted, water it every 7-10 days. Do not water it everyday!!! . A watering should consist of a slow trickle soak with the hose, and around 20 gallons.
Thanks for responding. I kind of had my suspicions about what that guy told me but I'm glad you cleared that up. I wish I found this site earlier. I would have planted that tree last fall.

Back