Need help with Stihl MS460 Carburetor!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJPint

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new (to me) MS460 - I'm not sure how old it is.. It appears to be a pretty strong running saw with good compression (150psi) - I've run 2 tanks of gas through it and it seems to run well. I immediately put on a dual port muffler and HD2 air filter to get more power, as I might be using this for a chainsaw mill at some point. I've been told in the past that you should make sure that you have a .7 fixed jet in your carb after you make these changes, and I didn't know what carb my saw had, as I'm not sure of the age - either a HD-14 or HD-16.

Well, I pulled it off this afternoon to investigate, and I found that I didn't have either - what was on there was a Zama CM3. I don't know anything about this carb, and can't find much online about it, other than it appears to be used in some older saws like a 044, but I can't see that it was ever used on a 460.

I've got several questions.
- Is this the original carb, or did it get changed at some point?
- Is this the right carb for this saw?
- The jets are not changeable on it, so is this a good fit for the modifications that I made?
- If not, what should I use and where should I get it?

I don't know what to do, and would love some guidance here!

Latest posts

Back