Need some advice on this TS510...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axlr8

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I aquired this guy on a trade.. with an AS member. The thing is in great mechanical shape. Its got some scratches and dings but who cares! I used it to chop up some smaller pipe I had laying around and well.. It started acting funky..So, i thought.. Hey, Must need a kit. So, I threw a carb kit in her.. no go... Then I figured.. well, I have a carb I can modify to work.. (Stihl 045/056) I had to remove a plug and plug another hole.. and install the fuel elbow into the new hole I drilled in the 045 carb. And well It got all buttoned up and It ran for a good 20 mins.. AND then Itd itermittently work then.. like run 5 mins... then Id fiddle with the carb screws.. and then another 5 mins.. and done again.. So.. I put it down for a while.. Now late last night I decided to try getting this pig going again. I tried and tried. and I couldnt get it to pop. SO i dribbled some mixed fuel down the carb throat. Thing took a few pulls, but it dang near ripped my arm off!!! And not just once! It did it a few times!!!

Now.. the cutoff saw doesnt have a kill switch or the wire for it.. (supposed to..) so I just kill it with the choke. What are my issues?!

All i can think of is a bad coil, sheared key, or something wrong with the ignition making it fire and yank the starter..

Anything youd suggest trying?!

I looked in the IPL and it seems as this flywheel has a molded in key? Well. I went out tonight, and the thing popped 2 times with choke, and it tryed to rip my arm off after that.. I am seriously stumped. Even with an elasto start handle.. I admit.. It hurts!!! :msp_confused:

Just for the heck of it, look down the carb bore at the piston with a light just for the sake of it to make sure its ok, real easy on that saw. Sounds like a sheared key to me, especially if someone recently had the flywheel off. Even if it is a molded key, you can line it up without a key if it did indeed shear, you must be careful though, and then properly torque that nut on. In reality the key dosent hold the flywheel in place, the taper on the crank to flywheel does.

Then check you fuel tank/filter, and take the cover off the carb and see if you have junk in the screen.

Ill get a compression reading and look at the bore.. Hope i dont need a top end.. I JUST gave a new tecomec slug and jug to another member here...

Latest posts

Back