Needa MS290 Shop Manual

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
A buddy of mine loaned his 290 to his brother or some such relation and naturally, for his efforts, he received back a saw filled with straight gas and locked up tighter than Fort Knox. I went to disassemble it and very quickly found out that is a different animal than my 346XP was. Lots of large wrap-around pieces of plastic that seem to attach to everything. I can't even get to the cylinder at this point. Took the muffler off and it's definately toast.. crispy toast at that.

I could use a shop manual to assist in the autopsy.

Do you think that a piston/cylinder is likey all that it will need or is it common that bearings get damaged when this occurs?

thanks,
Ian

Sorry , I am no help . But even if I loaned a saw, I would teach the person borrowing what kind of gas it needed. I would tell them twice!!!

Sorry about your luck. That would make me mad.

Ian,

Fortunately I do keep a record of people's e-mail addresses.

Check your Yahoo mail.

Dan

I was wonderin' the same (MS290 IPB illustrated parts breakdown). Visited the local Stihl dealer, asked him if those parts images on his 'puter were in a .pdf file. Not sure he knew wot a PDF file is. Asked him if I could get that info on a disk somehow and I drooler all over the new 361 on the shelf for the umpteenth time. Promised that I'm working seriously on the wife for OK to buy the 361 and still all I got was a funny look from the guy. Are dealers not allowed to pass on manuals?

Stihl IPL's have recently become top secret as they have become a viable commodity on Ebay.

If you want to PM me with your e-mail address....

Next question... since the 290/310/390 are the same family, Can I put a 310 or 390 top end on it and give him an upgrade?

Ian

It is quite a contrast in getting saw info when comparing the philosophies of Stihl to Husqvarna. Husky has owner's manuals, IPLs, and shop manuals available free of charge on line. Stihl has just the owner's manuals available. I can appreciate Stihl's restriction on selling their products through only authorized dealers but their limiting of technical information and parts lists seems a bit too stingy to me. We are fortunate here at AS to have a number of Stihl experts who help out other members with questions and / or problems as they may arise.

Haywood,

Your case sounds like mine was. My dad toasted his on straight gas. Everything on his was fine, except the piston and jug. I put it back together and it runs great. I told him it's my saw now, and he can only borrow it after he learns how to use it...and mix gas!! As for the 390 upgrade, it will work...I only wish I knew that before I put mine together. If you can find a 310 or 390 piston/jug, I'd put it in for sure.

Good luck...it's not hard, it just takes patience at times!!

I gave it back to him and told him he was on his own... too much trouble disassembling that thing to be worth the effort for me.

Ian

Latest posts

Back