New Echo CS-355T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After culling the Husqvarna herd down to just 2 saws (592XP and 372XP) I realized that I need a small saw -- preferably a top-handle saw. Well, I just bought an Echo CS-355T. The Swedish saws aren't happy, but they'll have to learn to play nice.

The Echo is nimble, light, and really screams. The Japanese know how to make 2-stroke engines, no doubt. I'll give it a few tanks for break-in and then re-assess engine performance. As I'm at 4,200 feet of elevation, I didn't have to fatten up the H screw as the carby was set for sea level.

The first thing I did was swap out the safety chain for a new loop of Oregon 91VX. The 14" bar is a nice size and the weight/balance is lovely. Serious pruning and limbing begins next week...

JQ

After the big pruning sessions, I'm really pleased with the little Echo CS-355T. I hadn't used a top-handle saw in a long time and it was a real pleasure to operate. I did 3 big trimming jobs, including one for my brother and another for my 91-year-old mother. I left both my big Husqvarna saws in the barn and only took the little top-handle rig. The 14" bar with low-pro chain is a nice combo. The saw is nimble and very handy to get into some tight areas.

The L screw needs a bit of adjusting as I'm getting a slight hesitation coming off idle. I'll remove the L & H limiter caps and tune the saw before this week's trimming projects.

The overall impression is very good. Echo hit a home-run with this little gem.

JQ

The only serious complaint I have run into is that the top plate below the handle that covers the fuel lines and ignition wires comes off too easily and is flimsy.

Operators start using the saw without that cover in place and then lots of troubles emerge as grime builds up and branches start catching and pulling things loose. I believe at least one of the Stihl top handles uses a similar poor design.

The ignition switch is also a rather poor design and not easy to get to in order to clean up or replace.

I had a 303T that I shouldn’t have sold. Been eyeing the new unreleased Milwaukee battery top handle but I know the echo 2511 and 355 are loved too. I just don’t use a small saw enough. Not sure what to do.

As long as you're removing limiters so you can retune, open the outlet on the muffler. Unless they've changed them, its just an open can, so there's no catalytic element to remove. Just remove the deflector, drill a hole in the lower sloped part, then put it back on.

Roger that. Minor muff-mod coming today.

I‘m not a big fan of spur sprockets…does Echo or A/M make a rim sprocket for the 335? I’d like to upgrade if possible.

JQ
Yes. Check E-bay. $17 will get you both the sprocket and the clutch drum for a 355T, not a 335 (whatever that is). Good luck!

Oops! Sorry, my error. Rim sprocket for a 355T is not available.

Great saw. I run a 330t and it screams like a banshee. No complaints from me about the top handle echos. I find myself picking up the 14 inch top handle more than any other saw for most jobs

Will the rim sprocket for the 355 fit the older 360T ? Would like to add that rim when the time comes. Thanks!

I was hoping that Oregon made a PowerMatch rim sprocket kit for the Echo, but I can't find any mention of the 355T in the current or discontinued Oregon documentation. Looks like it's "spur sprocket" for the duration...

JQ

I ran this saw again today for several hours. I continue to be impressed with this little Japanese saw. It's a good, strong runner and super light. I dropped 2 trees that were 18" DBH. Bucked 'em up too. Obviously wasn't as fast as a bigger saw, but it did the job. I haven't yet done the muff-mod, but that happens tomorrow morning...

JQ

I ran this saw again today for several hours. I continue to be impressed with this little Japanese saw. It's a good, strong runner and super light. I dropped 2 trees that were 18" DBH. Bucked 'em up too. Obviously wasn't as fast as a bigger saw, but it did the job. I haven't yet done the muff-mod, but that happens tomorrow morning...

JQ
Advance the timing a tad for a little more performance.

...The Echo is nimble, light, and really screams. The Japanese know how to make 2-stroke engines, no doubt. I'll give it a few tanks for break-in and then re-assess engine performance. As I'm at 4,200 feet of elevation, I didn't have to fatten up the H screw as the carby was set for sea level.

The first thing I did was swap out the safety chain for a new loop of Oregon 91VX. The 14" bar is a nice size and the weight/balance is lovely. Serious pruning and limbing begins next week...

JQ
About six or so years ago, I was seriously looking for a decently-priced, good condition 020 or MS200T, as we used those at work (fire dept) for storm calls and light brushing. I soon found out that it was easier to find a rainbow unicorn than the Stihl I was wanting. Upon a few suggestions, I bought a 355T when my local home improvement establishment had its semi-annual 15% everything sale. I immediately ordered up a pair of Oregon 91VX chains (14" bar) and after installing one, proceeded to run a few tanks of fuel through it with some pruning and limb bucking. After that, I performed the minor muffler mod, removed the limiter caps, and retuned the saw (sea level). After six years of tree pruning and removal around my property, the saw still runs great, and the Oregon chain is a great match for the saw. Haven't had any plastic parts issues with the saw (including the primer bulb), and I highly recommend the 355T for a property owner that desires a capable, but affordable top-handle. I've even seen a number of them in use with tree service companies.

Latest posts

Back