New House, wanting advice on what trees to plant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kegonsa

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have had my house for about a year now and want to revive my trees. I have 12 acres 6 is corn field, 3 acres are woods, and the last 3 is my yard with trees through out. separating my yard and the corn field is a row of large oak and walnut trees, with the same thing on the other side going back to my woods. Unfortunately most of the trees along the lot line are old and dying. I had two very large walnuts fall in the past 6 months. They are also being chocked out black locust and box elder. My plan is to cut down the locust, box elder, and dead walnuts and oak trees this spring. I want to replant oak trees, due to the fact they will take the rest of my life to fill back I am looking for trees to plant along side. What are good trees to plant in between them that grow fast so my land does not feel naked and will have some shade. Thanks in advance

Fast growing trees aren't always the ideal choice, they generally have soft wood which fail easier, like water and are messy. It sounds like you have a pretty big yard and can get a cool variety of trees growing. You don't want to have a mono-culture or all the same trees on your property, if something came through and killed all your Oaks it would be devastating. I can vouch for this after the EAB killed the Ash trees in our area there were many cases where people had wooded lots consisting solely of Ash trees that we had to remove. Instead of going for the fastest growing trees I would recommend some sunburst and sugar maples (for their fall colors). Silver maples grow faster than oaks and the other hard maples I suggested just make sure you get a good specimen. Sycamore trees look cool and you can't go wrong with a Spruce tree to add some color in the winter.

Since you asked, some fast growers off the top of my head:
Cottonwood: grow fast, grow giant, cover your yard with cotton in the spring and smell like piss when you cut them down (just a fun fact).
Corkscrew Willow: The entry way to hell is lined with these... Like being close to water, grow fast, look cool from a distance, break easy, will always be picking up sticks after a slight breeze, don't do it!
River Birch: wont grow as tall, also love water, aren't as woody.
Tulip Poplar: one of the tallest growing trees in our climate (I've been told anyway) soft wood, but I really have no beef with these and would probably recommend along with the silver maple.

Just my opinions if anyone has a Willow and love their Willow I apologize they are just messy trees and grow faster than I think anyone really anticipates.

Hope this helps!

I'm in a similar situation, and will need trees planted in my future front yard. Fast growing trees are bad juju, and I too would like to have some fast shade spring up, but I know that's not going to happen, nor a good idea. Here's an interesting read on this subject, and a good list of trees, and descriptions. Trees in a Hurry | Fast-Growing Shade Trees | This Old House

There are some there I like, but the route I'm going is off a list of native trees for my area. Don't don't need tons of water or help, disease resistant, because they're all native. Luckily Redbuds are one of my natives, wife wants something that flowers too.

Another thing I'm in the process of doing, just emailed the arkansas forestry commission, and someone's comming out to go over my land with me and give me advice, sure they'll have good suggestions of what to plant as well, and it's a service they provide for free.

EDIT: And a neat thing I just found while I was posting this and at my forestry commission's page are their seedlings, won't get it cause I want to buy some a bit older, and a lot of these aren't on my native species list, but still kinda cool.

Beautification Bundles will include two of each species: Baldcypress, Blackgum, Pin Oak, Red Bud, Shumard Oak $20
Wildlife Bundles will include two of each species: Chinkapin Oak, English White Oak, Pecan (Native), Persimmon, Red Mulberry $20

And UrbanLoggerMI, I had a willow growing up, beautiful tree, nice big and shady... but being the youngest... always picking up those stupid sticks ALL the time. Till we cut it down :) Got replaced with two bradford pears, pretty, pretty smelly too. Then we moved a few years later.

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestions. I guess i didnt think about issues if I planted only one type of tree. I was thinking oak because growing up most of the roads around hear are lined with oak trees. Having maple trees mixed in would defiantly add more color. I will also have to look into checking with my local DNR as well.

Thank you for the suggestions. I guess i didnt think about issues if I planted only one type of tree. I was thinking oak because growing up most of the roads around hear are lined with oak trees. Having maple trees mixed in would defiantly add more color. I will also have to look into checking with my local DNR as well.

Red oaks grow reasonably quickly for a tree not considered a "fast growing tree". I have a tuliptree / tulip poplar and that would be good in the mix, it handles the Waukesha cold just fine. Silver maples also grow very quickly, some don't like their invasive roots but that sounds like it won't matter as much where you would have them. We have two that are ~14 years old that are already about 10" DBH, which is amazing to me. I think between those three you could do OK for yourself. If you buy whips (3 foot tall trees) you will have to protect them from deer for a few years using tree tubes. The Wisconsin tree nursery requires you to buy a lot of trees. I've always thought this place was cool but never had time to go:

Wildlife Habitat Spring Tree Sale

I've gotten a lot of whips from arborday.org, I would strongly advise you to pay more and buy from someplace local where you can get something bigger/healthier, but they have worked for me.

Latest posts

Back