New member from Vermont

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmacvt

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greetings. I'm a small-time landowner in Vermont, "small-time" meaning I've got about three acres of second-growth forest. My goal is to improve the health of the forest, as it's been taken over long since with barberry, buckthorn -- you name it. There are also some nice older trees which I want to foster, plus bringing along future tree generations. I've been a chainsaw and splitter user for decades but do not consider myself an expert woodsman in any sense.

What brings me here today is help fixing a wonderful splitter I bought new in the 80's that finally needs some work.

Chainsaw: Stihl MS270
Splitter, a classic: An East Hill model 102HD. (East Hill is long gone but seems to be a predecessor of Built-Rite).

Greetings. I'm a small-time landowner in Vermont, "small-time" meaning I've got about three acres of second-growth forest. My goal is to improve the health of the forest, as it's been taken over long since with barberry, buckthorn -- you name it. There are also some nice older trees which I want to foster, plus bringing along future tree generations. I've been a chainsaw and splitter user for decades but do not consider myself an expert woodsman in any sense.

What brings me here today is help fixing a wonderful splitter I bought new in the 80's that finally needs some work.

Chainsaw: Stihl MS270
Splitter, a classic: An East Hill model 102HD. (East Hill is long gone but seems to be a predecessor of Built-Rite).
Hi rmacvt,

Another Vermonter here! You may want to go check out the East Hill docs I scanned a long time ago for this site at http://community.middlebury.edu/~rjames/brute-woodsplitter. My late uncle had a Model 103. I just finished converting it from a three point hitch PTO model to gas engine power. New motor, pump, hydraulic tank, etc.

Reach out if you have questions.

Thanks, Panther! Good to make your acquaintance. Yes, I downloaded your 103 manual a couple of weeks ago. It's the only info on East Hill I've been able to find, online or much of anywhere else. I have the 102HD. Without diagrams, it's hard to tell, but I think the 102HD and 103 mechanicals are much the same. If I ever come across my manual, I'll put it online as well.

For my sake and that of the two guys who own the splitter with me, I've assembled a folder with the manual for the Honda 8hp (what a trooper that engine is), various Prince resources, and a PDF with your scan and some other reference info. Your scan is going to good use. If you think any of the info I found might help you, PM me and I'll send you a link to the folder. Happy to share.

Thanks again for putting your manual online years ago. It's much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back