New Stihl MS 200 Evaluation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregHarrison

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
For what it is worth, I am no proffessional user. But my 260 is too heavy for a lot of the small stuff I cut and trim up. Most of you guys recommended the MS200 rear handled saw. Well that is where I started running into difficulties.
Could not find one around the Atlanta area so I called Stihl. Is not being destributed in the south and no plans are in the works to do so. Nearest area it should be found in is the Mid - Atlantic, S.C. east Tn, N. Carolina and so on.
Found one in Chatt. Tn. 1st impressions were plastic, plastic and more plastic. Picked it up and it felt like a toy. The chain is narrower than the 260. It does not have the upright cylinder I had always heard was most desirable.
Anyway plastic means light weight and it us highly regarded on this site so I bought it. Got it home and it took almost 3 pulls to crank. It is the best mannered saw I have ever used. Cranks easily, idles smoothly. The transition from idle to high rpm's is smooth and it settles back to idle very quickly. THe power is totally different than the bigger saws and it seems to have been designed to run a lot of chain speed. But, if you keep the rpm's up it will saw the hell out of stuff. I only had some stuff about 8 inches across to test it on. Some sweetgum, oak and pine. The chain cuts well for a safety chain.
Overall, Stihl made a heck of a saw! Handles well and the weight is light enough but has enough heft to not be dangerously light in my opinion. It cuts the 8 inch stuff like butter, just give it some gas. As long as it is durable I think Stihl has a winner here. I would recommend it to anyone needing a small light and relatively powerful saw. And it is not even broken in, only ran one tank of gas thru it. And gas goes a long way!
By the way, did I mention I love this saw!!!!!1
Hope this help someone but remember I am no proffessional user. Only a hack.
regards
Greg Harrison

Thanks for the info.
Have fun with it...sounds like you already are having fun.

Stihl has been refining that saw for 30 years and it seems to be the one model that they haven't totally plugged up in order to appease the EPA gods. Seems that it is their ace card in gaining the professional arborist market and they will sacrifice other models in order to leave the 200 unmolested. All other Stihl saws have been choked back in regards to emissions as well as bar lube usage. But if the pro tree guy buys a 200T for climbing, there's a good chance he will buy a few bigger Stihl saws for ground use.

Is the rear handle MS200 that much better then a MS180?? (enough to justify a $300+ price premium???)

The specs are nearly identical with a slight edge in favor of the MS200 but we're talking .2 HP and about .4 lbs.

Dave,
If you're going to compare and shop based strictly on published specs, you may end up with a Wally World Poulan or Homelite instead of a pro saw built like a small tank. Some users buy based on what saw will perform the best and that typically includes features and characteristics not included in published specs.

skwerl said:
Dave,
If you're going to compare and shop based strictly on published specs, you may end up with a Wally World Poulan or Homelite instead of a pro saw built like a small tank. Some users buy based on what saw will perform the best and that typically includes features and characteristics not included in published specs.

OK, what are those features and characteristics specific to the rear handled MS200? (I can understand the need for perfect balance on a top handle MS200T climbing saw, but what does MS200 bring to the party?)

Just curious.

P.S. I wouldn't put an MS180 into the Poulan/Homelite category. I thought I read that the MS180's were one of the std. saws used by the Asplundh crews.

davefr, to the unwashed masses like myself, the top handle gives minimal leverage and makes it harder to control the saw during kickback. The rear handle is in my case much easier to control and use. It still uses the commercial engine , carb and such.
Greg Harrison

Congrats! I bought the MS200T last year and its a fantastic saw. Dont let it run out of gas though, its a PITA to get running smoothly again.

I wish there was a removable handle to convert between the 200 and the 200T, because I too am seriously thinking about buying the 200 soon, just because its so light.

Dean

Dean Brown,
Tested mine on a 10 inch sweetgum last evening and it cut right thru. Also cut a seasoned 8 inch peach tree trunk . Cut like a dream.. Only thing I have found is to keep the rpm's up if you are in a big cut. Otherwise when trimming I just used what is needed. Don't want to needlessly overrev like a friend of mine does.
Greg Harrison

I regularly use the 200T to cut through ~14" oaks, gums and maples, it doesn't even hesitate! Great little saw.

If you want to cut even faster get a loop of 30LP chain with your right drive link count from Baileys...whoa...way outperforms the safety chain. Stihl has a 63PM yellow label chain too which will achieve the same effect but my dealer looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about it. Glad you love teh saw...even a lot of teh Husky and Jonsred and "other" brand tree pros use the top handled version as their climbing saw.

Congrats on your purchase Greg, wise choice, I also have a rear handled MS, it is sort of a prima donna because I use it strictly for climbing and no one else is allowed to touch it.

The MS 200's have a much shorter stroke that has a beefed up connecting rod when you compare it to the older 020's, plus the engines are a little bigger than the older ones. I don't know if their is a difference in the cranks, I'm sure there is, as I have yet to split the case on a 020 or 200, like Skwerl mentioned you won't find these little things on a spec sheet. The 200 is just in a class by itself for it's size and weight in the small saw Sthil line-up.

Just my 020 cents.

Larry

Latest posts

Back