New to site, have a couple questions!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M4-Gery

Firewood Hoarder
Reaction score
First, I am so glad that I found this site. There is a lot of information here that has already influenced me greatly. Thanks for having me! I am not a professional, though I prefer to do as much work as I can on my own (that and I don't have the $ to pay people to do things), and so far I have yet to get myself into trouble or danger. ;) I do however have the common sense to realize that I would be in over my head and have had friends who are pro's come over to help clear some dead/dying limbs out in some very tall beech and oak trees.

After searching the internet for what saw I should pick up for the amount of work I am doing, I found this site. Needless to say, I went with the MS361 20". WOW, what a great saw. This thing just keeps on going through anything. The only other saw I have is a 018C and it has served me well, but I needed something bigger. I had a couple trees that I had to remove thanks to the lovely little ants eating them apart. It has caused a couple trees to crack and large limbs to fall down on to vehicles. So I had to remove them :( , but to make up for it, I planted 10 fruit trees around my house. This kinda made up for it a bit, but I still hate removing such large and old trees... made me feel like a part of history is now lost. Might just be me, but I am guessing some here might also feel that way. I hate reckless cutting of trees down for no reason or to put in concrete.

I also purchased the MS361 because in about 2-3 years my 'Pop (mom passed at 41 years old) and I have decided to move to the Upper Peninsula of MI. Property is being scouted right now. One of the things I am looking for is completely undeveloped land. I will be clearing a drive (as narrow as possible and as short as possible but still not be able to see the cabins from the seasonal roads) and an area for 2 seperate cabins and a small pole barn up there. I will be purchasing a MS 460 or a 660 soon so that I have some bigger saws for the tasks that I will be doing also.

Anyway, I purchased the 33RSC chains after reading about them here. It really made a big difference. I used the green-link chain to do the dirty work, and it was OK, but once I swapped for the RSC chain, WOW, it really does cut a lot nicer, easier, and faster. I did notice a little difference with the force that it pushes back with, had 1 incident where when cutting I touched the tip of the bar onto a round on the ground, it climbed right up it and scared the crap out of me. I am a lot more careful after that incident. I FULLY understand what kickback means now. I am very careful when cutting with a saw too, I have chaps and glasses, ear muffs (deaf in one ear from birth, ear muffs are almost a daily thing for me) and I need to pick up a helmet yet though. I thought I had one someplace in my barn, but could not find it.

My question is, my older 018C is in need of a new bar and chain, I would prefer to keep the 14" bar since it cuts a lot faster, but I also would like to get something besides the green-link chain for it. Does anyone know what chain/bar combos I could use for that purpose? I like to order online because the dealer here never has anything I want in stock. I also get a better price online.

I have also seen aftermarket bars and chains, I typically try to stay with OEM products on everything I own as there are less problems that way. Are those products any good? Do they last as well as Stihl parts? I sharpen my own chains and I get quite a long life out of the Stihl chains.

This is the first year that I am going to be burning wood for heat, in my barn atleast to start. Once I get up north to the UP, I will be using wood burners for heat all winter so I am trying to see what I can get started now. I will be looking at a hydraulic splitter pretty soon here, I had to borrow one from a friend and it was a 27 or 28-Ton with a Honda engine, it worked pretty good so I might try to pick up the same thing... he got it from Tractor Supply. If anyone has a better suggestion for a splitter please let me know! I would like to keep cost around 1500$ but if it makes the job easier and faster to go to a heavy ton I would be willing to go to 2000$ just don't want to spend a bunch more to find it works about the same as the 1500$ model.

Sorry for the long post!

Cliff notes:

New here, not a pro, bought MS361 because of this site, along with the RSC chains... WOW... thanks... Need new bar and chains for 14" 018c... Moving up north, first year burning wood, need a wood splitter- suggestions?

Thanks

ETA: How is mulberry wood for wood stove burning? I took down a rather large one and it left me with a lot of wood.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Site. As you have already found out, you bought a great saw.

Regarding a new bar and chain for your saw, take a look at both Amick's and Baileys sites (they are both sponsors of this site and you can link directly from the top of the page). I have purchase lots of stuff from both of them, including many bars and many, many chains. They both stock Oregon, and Baileys also stocks Windsor bars and Woodsman Pro Chain (made by Carlton, and IMHO very good chain). As you will see the prices are right and the quality is excellent, and if you do business with either of them, you will find the service is great.

Good luck on your upcoming adventure to the UP. Sounds like a very interesting and ambitious undertaking.

Welcome to the site and welcome as well to the "361 club"!!

:chainsawguy:

I will be looking at a hydraulic splitter pretty soon here, I had to borrow one from a friend and it was a 27 or 28-Ton with a Honda engine, it worked pretty good so I might try to pick up the same thing... he got it from Tractor Supply. If anyone has a better suggestion for a splitter please let me know! I would like to keep cost around 1500$ but if it makes the job easier and faster to go to a heavy ton I would be willing to go to 2000$ just don't want to spend a bunch more to find it works about the same as the 1500$ model.

I have the Tractor Supply 35 ton model. I think it is a beefier machine than some of the $2000-3000 machines out there. I don't think you'll go wrong with the TSC machines for personal use. For a firewood business, it's probably too slow.

I went big because my wood runs 20" on up to 30, 40 inches, and a lot of it is crotches. Mostly oak, some hickory. My splitter handles it all without any trouble. Ran 1500 plus tax with the Briggs engine. If I wear it out I'll probably replace it with a Honda.

How big you'll need will depend on the wood you'll be splitting.

I have the Tractor Supply 35 ton model. I think it is a beefier machine than some of the $2000-3000 machines out there. I don't think you'll go wrong with the TSC machines for personal use. For a firewood business, it's probably too slow.

I went big because my wood runs 20" on up to 30, 40 inches, and a lot of it is crotches. Mostly oak, some hickory. My splitter handles it all without any trouble. Ran 1500 plus tax with the Briggs engine. If I wear it out I'll probably replace it with a Honda.

How big you'll need will depend on the wood you'll be splitting.

I can also vouch for the ability of the Huskee 35 ton splitter. We've got over 100 cord through ours and it has never failed to split a log. We've put Oak, Maple, Pear, Black Locust, and Sycamore(some over 36" in diameter) through it without a wimper...in fact it's reduced a few tough pieces into toothpicks. My only wish is that it were a little faster..but for personal use it shouldn't be an issue. Good luck!

Back