Newbie - another "can I save it" thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattydub

Reaction score
New split in this tall tree on my property. Can I save it? Take it down is going to be quite interesting as I think the crack goes all the way through but it's about 1/3 of the overall diameter. So barber chair likely? It's the tall tree with small crown right next to the awning in pic 3...

What type of tree is this btw, hickory?

Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated. "Call a pro" is not a tip btw, I'd like to attempt myself first ;-)

Thank you forum!

View attachment 281292View attachment 281292View attachment 281293

Looks like a Black Locust, should be removed.

If you want to save, bolt it together with threaded rod. 3/4" rod every 2'-4' staggering the holes vertically beyond the height of the seam.

Thanks guys....I'll give it a go to get it down. Really worried on this one though. It's a clean through split, I wouldn't climb it to top it's I'd be seriously doubting that the sway wouldn't split the whole thing and send the climber down too! It's too close to the house to just let it fall wherever so I'm up for quite the challenge. View attachment 281347

New split in this tall tree on my property. Can I save it? Take it down is going to be quite interesting as I think the crack goes all the way through but it's about 1/3 of the overall diameter. So barber chair likely? It's the tall tree with small crown right next to the awning in pic 3...

What type of tree is this btw, hickory?

Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated. "Call a pro" is not a tip btw, I'd like to attempt myself first ;-)

Thank you forum!

View attachment 281292View attachment 281292View attachment 281293
Yes, please rotate your camera or edit the pics before posting. :tongue2:

Agree, it's a black locust - not worth saving. Good luck getting it down safely.

Climbing question.

Sorry, that split is atrocious, loosing a tree isn't fun.

My question is (and this comes from inexperience with splits) is that tree "safe" to climb? I always end up going up them, but how much split before a climber says "no way"? See I've never fallen from a split so I am clueless when I head up split trees, I've pretty much just been biting my lip and tying in on the side with the most meat...

The more I think about it...the more I think this is a terrible question, and maybe needs to go in another forum...?

Latest posts

Back