Newly Planted Magnolia Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A cultivar is when they cross plants to use genetic selection in establishing a particular trait for the plant. The trait could be a special color of flower or a particular growth form, such as a "dwarf crepe myrtle". The tag on your tree indicates it has been selectively bred to attain a height of 30 ft and a width of 20 ft, which is maybe 1/2 the potential height of the native magnolia.

In my personal experience, get rid of it while you still can. I see a nicely mowed manicured lawn behind that. My neighbor's shed those waxy leaves that don't mulch, don't burn and are just a royal pita. Plant you a nice Oak or an evergreen. Even the new neighbor next door said he wished he could cut them all down, he has probably a dozen in his back yard.
I suggest a live oak. They are evergreen like a magnolia and don't shed leaves until spring. I have water oaks and live oaks and I wish I had never planted the water oaks. They shed limbs when they get big and they take all winter to shed there leaves so your raking tiny leaves all year.

A cultivar is when they cross plants to use genetic selection in establishing a particular trait for the plant. The trait could be a special color of flower or a particular growth form, such as a "dwarf crepe myrtle". The tag on your tree indicates it has been selectively bred to attain a height of 30 ft and a width of 20 ft, which is maybe 1/2 the potential height of the native magnolia.
Very cool! I learned something new today - thank you so much for your response!

I had a magnolia that the builder planted three feet from the foundation in a couple of homes in my development. After a few years I started to get black sappy deposits on the leaves and decided to move it to the back yard. It transplanted well but those deposits remained. I ended up using Bayer Tree and Shrub Insect Control which solved the problems. I believe they were caused by small wasps.

Attachments

• IMG_3708.jpg
    IMG_3708.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 0
I had a magnolia that the builder planted three feet from the foundation in a couple of homes in my development. After a few years I started to get black sappy deposits on the leaves and decided to move it to the back yard. It transplanted well but those deposits remained. I ended up using Bayer Tree and Shrub Insect Control which solved the problems. I believe they were caused by small wasps.
Looks amazing - Did the tree ever struggle or go into shock when you moved it? Thanks for sharing.

Give it a chance to bounce back. FYI, Magnolias trees can grow quite large and the large, fleshy seed pods that they produce can be messy. That being said, they can be a beautiful/great addition to your yard.
Awesome update and thank you for the advice - we are going to give it some time as some branches are still in quite good shape.

Greetings Everyone! Just wanted to drop a line to say thanks again for the words of encouragement and advice. Our tree is starting to make a good comeback - here are the latest pics from yesterday (6/2/2023).

Attachments

• IMG_2744.jpg
    IMG_2744.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2745.jpg
    IMG_2745.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Back