Newly planted trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ezduzit

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I planted some Oak saplings this Spring and a Red Maple that was already ~ 5 years old? (8 foot). Is it too early to put spikes in the ground or use other growth assist products and if not what do you all recommend for these trees to help their growth?

The best 2 things you can do is:

keep them watered. These trees could have lost up to 90% of their roots in the transplanting process, so finding enough moisture in the soil will be a problem. I'd expect the maple to suffer the most;

keep down the competition, especially grasses. Organic mulches, such as bark chip, would be best, a herbicide like glyphosate would be easiest (providing you don't overspray the saplings and follow directions on the label). For saplings, a 1m (3 ') weed free spot around each works well, and should be maintained for the first few years at least.

Most types of fertilisation at this stage will not give them much of an advantage, and may cause other problems. Don't be tempted into doing any pruning for several years.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
You are absolutely right on the maple suffering the most, however it has grown ~ 1 foot so far. I worry that I am watering too much if that is possible, every night I water the oak saplings pretty heavily and moderate on the 4' Red Oak and 8' Red Maple. The maple leaves seem very rigid, almost like magazine paper with the tips of the leaves browning and curling on some, but overall looks o.k. I just want a healthy tree for the future.

if it is a true red maple (Acer rubra-green leaves) and not a Crimson King Norway maple (A. plantinoides-maroon leaves) then it is near impossible to over water.

Mix some fish emultion with the water once or twice a year.High nitrogen (stakes and granules) fert is proven to make trees more suseptable to pest and disease.

Most garden centers and nurseries carry fish emultion, maybe $10-15 a bottle.

Yes most oak species can be stressd and killed by excessive water. Inspect regularly water as needed, maintain moist soil in the root zone, not wet. Do it like a potted plant.

Latest posts

Back