not enough hook on my semi chisel chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superhaus

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have got an old foley 308 grinder the thing works great on my full chisle chains but I have been having trouble get the proper hook on the semi chisle chains particularly my 3/8 low profile chains. I was wondering if I should chainge my head tilt from 60 degrees to some thing else. My top plate angle is 30-35 degrees depending on brand of chain. Any suggestion would be appriciated.
Thanks

Low pro 3/8 should be using a 1/8 wheel, some of these and the picos might require a 3/32 wheel. You do not want a ton of hook just a slight curve so that the side of the cutter is not leading the top edge. Also make sure you reach down to the oem gullet depth without grinding the tie strap. Keep your wheels dressed to the proper u shape. After a couple chains likely need to touch up the wheel shape.

( note: 3/32 wheels would have to be gotten from a tool supply house, resinoid bond is fine, runs cooler than vitrified apx 46 grit, 60 is too fine and burns. Wheel hardness rating of J would work ok. You will also need to make a arbor size adaptor or purchase one as 1/2 is not that common a size in the tool room grinding industry )

Also I use a head setting of 65 for almost every thing, 25 across the top plate

Last edited:
Low pro 3/8 should be using a 1/8 wheel, some of these and the picos might require a 3/32 wheel. You do not want a ton of hook just a slight curve so that the side of the cutter is not leading the top edge. Also make sure you reach down to the oem gullet depth without grinding the tie strap. Keep your wheels dressed to the proper u shape. After a couple chains likely need to touch up the wheel shape.

( note: 3/32 wheels would have to be gotten from a tool supply house, resinoid bond is fine, runs cooler than vitrified apx 46 grit, 60 is too fine and burns. Wheel hardness rating of J would work ok. You will also need to make a arbor size adaptor or purchase one as 1/2 is not that common a size in the tool room grinding industry )

Also I use a head setting of 65 for almost every thing, 25 across the top plate

Thanks for the advise, I am currently using an 1/8" wheel for those 3/8LP chains but I will give your 65-25 degree a shot. Mabey I am just expecting more of a hook than I should for those style chains.

Back