"Nursery Log" photo / Ecola Park in Oregon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M.D. Vaden

vadenphotography.com
Reaction score
If you folks really like forestry and the forest, you must have seen dozens of these logs that decompose to provide a home for other trees.

This is a Sitka Spruce in Ecola Park near Cannon Beach in Oregon. I'm estimating the age at about 350 years. This log is quite rotted. The trees growing out of it are already 60 feet or taller.

Most of this particular forest is comprised of trees on rotted stumps and logs. Wish you could see the view of the beach and lighthouse down the driveway.

Cool pics. Haven't been to Ecola in a while, used to spend a lot of time there with friends/girlfriend in high school. Is that tree along the trail going over Tillamook Head?

Since it was right on your way, have you stopped and looked at the big logs at Camp 18? Counted 350 rings on one. Don't know how many growth rings have rotted off the outside or how high that log was in the tree.

If you ever make it into Astoria, the forest above town is similar to Ecola. The cathedral tree trail is easy walking. Many big trees growing out of nurse logs/stumps. A plethora of conks and diseased failed trees. Even a few monster 200'+ spruce trees still standing.

The tree at Ecola park was within a couple hundred feet of the winding driveway halfway to the pay booth for parking.

Haven't been to Astoria area trees yet - Camp 18 yes. I tend to count bites of food there !

Speaking of Camp 18, I think I've got a photo of the upper dining room - let's see if it posts - not sure about the size.

You have a good sense of humor Nickrosis.

So - since I'm 250 lbs - that's REALLY a big looking tree !!

Really, I put my thin build son in the pixs to make the trees look more massive.

Here he is with a friend hugging a western hemlock

Wow, awesome pics! I've always seen big trees like that in pictures. I'll have to get out west one of these days so I can see them for real!

They do grow fast out here. We do have some very nice woods for hiking in - big trees, a lot of moss, ferns, greenery, especially the coast range. Mt. Hood and the Columbia river gorge are good too. Washington's got a lot of nice forest also "the evergreen state" as it's called.

I've started putting my albums link in my signature lately on forums for added interest - except at Arborist Site, since I thought the volume might be a bit high.

But, I'm sticking my photos at:

http://imageevent.com/mdvaden/oregoncoast

Back