Oak ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HittinSteel

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am new to tree identification for firewood purposes. I was shown by a friend a split of what he called oak that had very small "check" marks going the opposite direction of the grain. I am pretty sure that this is Oak myself. These small checks seem like an easy way to id. Do all oaks exhibit these checks and if so, are they the only tree types that do?

I think what you are describing are called 'rays'. Yes it is very common in Oak. I havent seen all species of Oak but all I have seen has had this.

Yep, rays are what I am describing. I've cut about 2 cord from a farmer's property. He told me it was a big elm. I think it is actually a red oak of some kind because of the rays and distinct smell when split. It has been down for quite some time and my moisture meter said it was ready for the stove. It seems to leave some really nice coals like oak also.

If you split two cords of it and still want to talk about it, it was Oak and not Elm.I'm suprised you still had the "sour Oak smell" if the wood was dry enough to burn.Usually takes at least a month, stacked, before it goes away.
The rays you described can be best seen on quartersawn Oak flooring or furniture, such as a Stickley piece.Always hurts a little bit putting a nice piece in the stove.

If you split two cords of it and still want to talk about it, it was Oak and not Elm.I'm suprised you still had the "sour Oak smell" if the wood was dry enough to burn.Usually takes at least a month, stacked, before it goes away.
The rays you described can be best seen on quartersawn Oak flooring or furniture, such as a Stickley piece.Always hurts a little bit putting a nice piece in the stove.

hahahaha, it did not split that easily, which had me questioning what it was. It was bad enough that I bought a splitter after doing most of it by hand. The sour smell was only in some of the larger rounds that were split and what I am burning now was split and racked in June.

Slippery Elm or Red Elm has a distinctive smell to it. Reminds me of ground cinnanamon when first split. It is straight grained and easily split by hand. On big rounds, the axe may bounce the first couple of whacks , but keep working on that same spot and it soon pops apart cleanly. It leaves nice coals and burns with a vigor. The bark and leaves are much darker than American Elm. Fewer forks and small limbs than Am. Elm too.

I count it as very good wood for heating. Leave the bark outside though or you will be doubling the amount of ash and clinkers you are cleaning out of the heater.

Yard trees mostly right around here. IIRC, it seems it was introduced here in the 20's as a large shade tree with a good root system to withstand windstorms. It was grown as a windbreak along some fields and roads too.

There is some to be had but doesn't seem to be found in the native forests unless someone put it there or it found it's way to a clearing and got a start. It seems to prefer full sun and moderate moisture.

If it was hard splitting it was not Red oak, probably white oak, white oak when fresh split has sort of a cedar smell to it I think. Red oak is usually tall and straight with not too many branches and has a distinct sweet smell when fresh split and splits very easy, White oak grows thicker dia. if old and has lots of branches and bushes out more than red oak, you can definately tell the difference when splitting

here are some pictures I posted and got some decent responses on the hearth site.

http://www.**********/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/24251/

I wonder.A standing dead Oak "shiny silver"? The bark usually stays on long enough to rot the outer inch or so.I think it might be Red Elm.
Also, Red Elm is one of the few trees to actually dry on the stem.Red Oak only dries at the smallest branches.

Got any pictures you can post here that might show the dead bark at the base ? Maybe snap a few of the tree structure of the next one before it gets dropped ? I didn't see "shiny silver" mentioned but that is characteristic of Red Elm after the bark is falling off when it gets sun bleached.

I did folow the link and thought I was looking at Red Elm.

I may be able to get some bark next time I am out cutting. Red Elm vs. Oak was why I first asked if Oak is the only tree with rays. This stuff definitely has rays and I was hoping that would make a definite ID.

I cut this stuff up the other weekend and the farmer said it was elm. I had a hard time splitting it, but it does not look stringy like elm. Had to take some to another farmer’s place to use his splitter and he gave it a good sniff and said it was oak. Sorry there is no bark as it was standing dead and shiny silver.

sorry for the mix up....... actually I began by felling a standing dead silver shiny tree. Then I moved on to a large blow down that was either at one time standing dead or lost the majority of its bark once down. With the arrival of winter getting the briar patch it fell in under control, I have been able to work my way towards the trunk of the tree which there still is some bark. Having cut and split both of the trees, they are the same type. So now I have access to bark of what is the same type tree that I did not when I posted the pics on the hearth. :dizzy:

Back