Oak tree salvage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoreGrv

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This tree fell during Hurricane Matthew.20161009_175256.jpg 20161009_175759.jpg I have been working on it a little at a time. I am wanting to get it sawed up into lumber. 20161029_160528.jpg I have gotten this far own my own. Not sure what the next step should be. I think id be ok removing the arm thats the furthest away from the stump. What would be the safest way to get the log detached from the stump/root ball? What are the chances the root ball will flop back?

I would under cut the three branches as they sit (notch and back cut) close to the trunk but leave good holding wood, but not cut them off. Then I would cut the trunk from the stump expecting the stump to flop back into the hole. I'd do a shallow open face undercut then cut top down through the trunk. Watch the stump as you cut and if its slowly lowering down it will drag the rest of the tree forward with it.

Make sure you do a shallow notch on those branches incase they have a lot of compression on them or they could pinch your bar. Ideally they will fold down when the trunk is getting cut from the stump. Careful of any roll. If you cant notch them close to the trunk just go as high as reasonably safe to do so.

That looks like a good candidate to try some chainsaw milling. Nice log in there.

Funny you should mention an alaskan mill. That was my original plan, to purchase a Granberg and a saw big enough to run it with. I would like to build a bed out of the lumber. A relative that lives near by overheard me talking about it and he has a band saw mill set up that is just 10min away and offered to help me saw it up. I liked the idea of doing it all myself but this way would prolly be faster and cheaper.

Funny you should mention an alaskan mill. That was my original plan, to purchase a Granberg and a saw big enough to run it with. I would like to build a bed out of the lumber. A relative that lives near by overheard me talking about it and he has a band saw mill set up that is just 10min away and offered to help me saw it up. I liked the idea of doing it all myself but this way would prolly be faster and cheaper.
Its only fun for the first cut, then its just work. Besides, you'll get a better product and less waste with the band saw. Make sure you know what he's going to charge (if any) before you get it sawn.

Welcome to the site. Take into account that the rule of thumb on air drying wood is about a year per inch of thickness. I air dry my Oak, milled at 3" for about a year, for live edge benches and tables. I use all mortise and tenon joints and no fine joinery, Joe.

Thanks for all the kind replies. I dont think hes going to charge me anything to get it sawn. I thought I had a Homelite Super XL925 purchased. Pretty sure i got scammed. Sent the money to a guy that seemed legit (100$), but I havent seen the package at my door yet and its been since last Tuesday or Wendsday since he was supposed to ship it. Said he would send tracking number but he never did. I had hoped to use it as a milling saw for the Alaskan mill and i needed a bigger saw any how. I hate I didnt get the saw worse than the loss of 100$.

Thanks for all the kind replies. I dont think hes going to charge me anything to get it sawn. I thought I had a Homelite Super XL925 purchased. Pretty sure i got scammed. Sent the money to a guy that seemed legit (100$), but I havent seen the package at my door yet and its been since last Tuesday or Wendsday since he was supposed to ship it. Said he would send tracking number but he never did. I had hoped to use it as a milling saw for the Alaskan mill and i needed a bigger saw any how. I hate I didnt get the saw worse than the loss of 100$.
Did you make that deal on this site? You don't have to say a name but it's important that we do t let those things slide. If it was a member of the site you need to let a site moderator know so that member cannot continue to scam other people as well. Sorry to hear about your purchase. I hope it works out for you in the end.

Did you make that deal on this site? You don't have to say a name but it's important that we do t let those things slide. If it was a member of the site you need to let a site moderator know so that member cannot continue to scam other people as well. Sorry to hear about your purchase. I hope it works out for you in the end.
No it wasnt a member from this sight that I know of. It was a sight where you normaly do face to face transactions but it was my idea to ship it. "Not sure if its ok to mention other sights here, or the persons name or contact #" I would glady give them out im so angry about it. First time this has ever happend to me and I've done quite a bit of dealing online.

No it wasnt a member from this sight that I know of. It was a sight where you normaly do face to face transactions but it was my idea to ship it. "Not sure if its ok to mention other sights here, or the persons name or contact #" I would glady give them out im so angry about it. First time this has ever happend to me and I've done quite a bit of dealing online.
This site has a filter and will block it if it's not allowed. It might not do any good but then again it might save someone else a $100. Ya never know. Sorry, didn't mean to derail your thread.

This site has a filter and will block it if it's not allowed. It might not do any good but then again it might save someone else a $100. Ya never know. Sorry, didn't mean to derail your thread.
Its alright, mostly me who derailed it any how. :laugh: I will prolly have better luck dealing on here or with better known people face to face next time.

Hopefully I can get back on the oak tree this weekend. I will update the thread with my progress. Should anyone be interested.

Latest posts

Back