Oak Tree Trimming

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summett

Reaction score
I live in MN and would like to trim up some dead branches on some of my oak trees. Is it late enough in the season to start that process or should i be waiting until later in the fall season?

Thanks!

If your going to Trim/Remove Dead Branches I dont believe It matters when you do it. :blob2:

Yup, deadwood can be removed whenever you have a saw in your hand and can find the branch collar. ;)

Personally, I would wait.
Although it is uncommon to spread Oak Wilt this time of year it is certainly possible. Clean your tools with some rubbing alcohol when you do decide to trim.

Unless Oak Wilt is running rampen in the area, deadwooding shouldn't be a problem. And you should practice sanitantion when ever you prune.

Oak Wilt is so devistating, I don't see any reason to put trees at risk to prune some dead limbs, unless there is a safety issue, then carefully prune and paint all wounds.
Although deadwood trimming should not open the vascular system of the tree, it often does. Suckers can get broken off, dead limbs can impact live limbs on the way down ropes can get snagged, the climber himself can bump limbs. Another thing that is possible, is opening the vascular system while removing a limb that is almost dead, but still green close to the trunk.
I am in an area where Oak Wilt is all around. Many of the infection centers can be traced to improper pruning.
Did you ever think you could spread Wilt by cutting a tree down? I argue it can happen. I spray paint stumps after removing an Oak in close proximity to others.
With so much at risk, wait until the weather is cold, once insect activity is over.

i think i will wait to trim later in the year. However, we recently had high winds and actually blew off the top of one of my Oaks. Guess i'm a little concerned about Oak Wilt affecting that area since it is completely open and vulnerable (not to mention hard to get at)!:confused:

Back