Ohio GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliff R

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Being relatively new to the site I decided to attend the GTG in Amanda Ohio last Saturday.

I don't have a lot of interests these days other than drag racing our GTO once in a while. I've spent the last 20 years or so perfecting that deal, so it has become pretty much uneventful to blast off a low 11 second run in full street trim on 89 octane fuel, DOT tires, mostly stock parts and weighing in at 3760lbs. I do get quite a few folks wondering over to the car, looking over the engine compartment (usually trying to find NOS lines, and locating the stock iron intake, HEI distributor and Quadrajet carburetor instead, then glancing up at the ET on the window....that look is pretty much priceless!).

It's even more exciting when a track official comes over to me in the staging lanes, looks the car over (it looks completely "stock" right down to the quiet tailpipes and trim rings on the Ralley wheels) and tells me that I need to get a roll bar before I come back for another visit! Oh well, every guy needs a hobby or two to throw some money at, in my case I don't drink much, hang out in bars or smoke, so I can justify throwing money at something that puts a smile on my face on occassion.

I was intrigued enough by this website to attend the GTG, and really had no idea whatsoever what was going to go on there? I'm big enough into firewood cutting that I've aquired a nice pile of very good running saws, but they are all stock, with the exception of opening up the exhaust slighty on a few of them. I did port one following advice from this board, and made the mistake of testing it in front of one of my best friends, who bought it off of me so quickly I'm still trying to figure out why I sold it, and never got any numbers on it to even know if all my efforts did anything more than make it louder?

Anyhow, the GTG was sort of like a bunch of guys getting together to shoot old muzzle loading rifles. Some of us being barely able to hit the cardboard backer the target was mounted to, and others being able to shoot groups so tight you could barely tell how many rounds they fired (Brad Snelling comes to mind here). Just about every type and brand of saw was represented at some level, from the ones that ran like old John Deere "put-put" tractors, to 17,000 rpm SCREAMERS that went thru logs so quick you'd better not look away for a second or it was all over!

I spent a lot of the time gathering information, which everyone was quite willing to provide, as some of the guys with the really fast saws had obviously spent countless hours in the pursuit of perfection, and were still "tweaking" here and there to extract every single possible ounce of power/rpm out of their saws. I learned about "squish", port timing, muffler mods, ignition timing, tranfer's, sharpening chains, and all sorts of other interesting stuff.

There was really never a dull moment throughout the day, and it was complimented in the early afternoon with an EXCELLENT meal. I went home pretty much exhausted, but woke right up the next morning, and instead of watching TV, or playing around on the computer, I found myself in the shop taking a peice of conduit and modifying a muffler on one of my saws.

My wife wasn't real happy that I was out there before 9am on Sunday morning making timed cuts in a big hunk of Cherry laying out behind the shop. She says, "are you nuts, it's Sunday morning for crying out loud, get in here and have some coffee and eat some breakfast, and quit making all that noise!" Even Joe-Joe the 100 lb male Golden Retriever who's my wood cutting companion just gave me one of those stupid what the :censored: are you doing looks as he laid about 20' away watching over the area.

I looked around, no one lives close enough to us to complain about a loud chain saw, so I finished writing down and comparing my numbers, carried the saw back into the shop, and did some math on the calculator. Hum, that's a 17 percent improvement:clap: , so I grabbed up another saw and pulled the muffler off of it, thinking maybe on this one I'd try dual exhaust ports.....nah.....maybe one well aimed one to blow the chips off the chain would be more effective? Then I glanced into the exhaust port, hum, looks like quite a bit of room to widen and blend the port into the muffler, wonder what that would do? In any case, do you think I might have got some terrible disease from the GTG?:) .......Cliff

Last edited:
Thanks! I guess you could say I'm sort of "hooked". Still pretty early in the learning curve for me, but I'm already seeing some improvements from just doing little stuff to them.

Brad, I'm certain that you have a LOT of potential left in that 084 (at least I think that was the last one you were doing timed cuts with?), very impressive running saw as it is now. I'm excpecting it to stay in the upper part of the rpm range without pulling down by the next GTG. It didn't seem much effected by changing the number of drive teeth, PLENTY of torque, now just to raise the power into the rpm's a bit more, and you'll have trouble moving the bar over fast enough for the second cut!......Cliff

PS: I did forget to mention, if you haven't ever attended a GTG, it is highly recomended. Besides meeting a lot of really nice folks, you are going to see some very impressive running saws, and will quickly want to tear all your stuff apart so you can show up at the next one and post some improved cutting times!

Bailey's also provided some really nice items which I've already installed on a couple of our saws, thanks guys!

Last edited:
I double checked my porting numbers and I don't see much room for improvement. The exhaust and transfers were that high from the factory. The intake is a lot lower from doing the popup. I should be getting plenty of fuel with the transfers that high.

Squish 0.021"
Popup 0.042"
Compression 170-175 Cold
Exhaust 95* / Duration 170*
Intake 77* / Duration 154*
Transfers 119* / Duration 122*
Blowdown 24*

Did I get those durations right? I'm still pretty new at degreeing a saw. I normally go with factory porting numbers.

I think I know what the problem might have been though. Once I moved down from the 11-pin rim to the 8 or 9, the rear tip of the bar was far too wide. The chain was hitting the end of the rail as it re-entered on the top and had already begun mushrooming it out in the few runs I made. The chain does not appear to be damaged, but a new bar will be required. I'm hoping that was enough drag to be holding the saw back in the cut.

Last edited:
Hey cliffr if you are ever in cincinnati on a weakend look me up i have a 4 link
dragster runs 4.70 s in the 1/8 i let you make a pass .also have a bb mustang
runs 10.50 s 1/4 does good wheelies .motor is set back you can make a pass
in that one to .we bracket race a whole lot .So the saw thing is cheap as hell
in comparision.:chainsaw:

My Girlfriend / wife 14yrs thinks the saw thing is great she starts fires and wood
keeps her warm. And when she sees the saws the price is nothing compared
to the price of the stuff for the race cars and they end up as scrap .LOL
hopefully not to quick .My nephews ran dirt carts for years and that was a
lot of money and work i couldn't imagine a modified wow.:givebeer: Oh wait
i have one.

Great Writing Cliff !

And yes! You do have CAD! A rather advanced form judged by the way you are spending your Sunday am's and looking at certain saw passages! Best check on that GTO"S blue book.............:clap: .....Bob

Last edited:
And yes! You do have CAD! A rather advanced form judged by the way you are spending your Sunday am's and looking at certain saw passages! Best check check on that GTO"S blue book.............:clap: .....Bob

Farley,

Blue book, clue book! Are you saying he shouldn't run the snot out of it because it's worth some big jingle?

Cliff,

Run it man, run it 'til it begs for mercy. I spend most of my youth at Dragway 42, Norwalk, Milan, National Trail, Indy Nationals, etc. And look how I turned out.

You want a real blast? I live about 7 miles from the BMW Performance Center. I've attended events there including an "M" school. The instructors literally beg you to push and drive as fast as you can.

This post is dedicated to the city and people of Greer, who may not know it but they are beautiful and so is their city this is a very personal song, so if the viewer cannot understand it particularly those of you who are European residents save up all your bread and fly trans love airways to Greenville-Spartanburg, U.S.A., then maybe you'll understand the song, it will be worth it, if not for the sake of this post but for the sake of your own peace of mind.

Ladies and gentlemen, while there, attend a BMW "M" Performance School.

It will be worth it,

Joat

PS: "Pacemakers" still around?

Last edited:
Hey Joatmon!

For me it's saws now but in the past or "another life" as I sometimes put it I have done the drags ( D gas, C altered, and C fuel dragsters ) and motorcycles ( hare scrambles & enduros ) along with street racing, surfing and sailing. Done alright in all but as I get older things change! Could be the same for Cliff! GTG's are great adventures just as those of the past!
.........:cheers: .......Bob

For me it's saws now but in the past or "another life" as I sometimes put it I have done the drags ( D gas, C altered, and C fuel dragsters ) and motorcycles ( hare scrambles & enduros ) along with street racing, surfing and sailing. Done alright in all but as I get older things change! Could be the same for Cliff! GTG's are great adventures just as those of the past!
.........:cheers: .......Bob

Bob,

Here's to you .... :cheers:

And, here's to Cliff ... :cheers:

As I've said before, "In my youth I spend loads of money on fast cars, fast women and liquor. I wasted the rest of it."

Joat

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the kind words, and the reality check. The last engine I did for my GTO was up near $10,000. The saw stuff is pocket change in comparison. Cripe, I hope my wife doesn't read this, she hasn't a clue as to what I spent on the engine!.......Cliff

"Cliff, Run it man, run it 'til it begs for mercy."

No trailer queen here, I drive it like a stole it!

I attached a couple of pics, one from the winners circle at the Pontiac Tri Power Nationals in 2006, and another one shot with my co-pilot Dutchess a few minutes before we won the event. Dutchess usually goes everywhere with me but was getting ready to have pups Saturday so she stayed home.

The car ran 11.50-1160's with the old engine at 514hp/587tq. The new engine makes 580hp/620tq, and runs almost in the 10's in full street trim.

I'm going to start applying my knowledge and skills to the chain saw stuff. It's a lot easier than the car thing, and much less expensive. I gave up most of my other hobbies in the past couple of years. I quit hunting, seeing no need to take the lives away from animals, quit running to bars, I built a bar in my house instead! I still have my 2003 Road King and my Race car, and about a dozen good running chainsaws to mess with.....that's certainly enough!.....Cliff

Latest posts

Back