Old Husqvarna 140S Rebuild - No / Weak Spark Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFEngineering

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Thanks to some very knowledgeable AS members we were able to identify my project saw: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/191132.htm. After cleaning and inspecting all the hard parts I made the decision this saw was a good candidate for a rebuild. The plan was to reassemble it and attempt to get spark.

I lubed up the crank case & piston with WD-40 & reinstalled the jug. I didn't have the original CJ7Y plug to test it so I subbed in a CJ8 I had on the bench. Plan was to verify spark which would green-light the project. No spark, No rebuild. There aren't too many suppliers of ignition parts for this 70's saw so it may be a breaking point.

With the CJ8 in the boot & it grounded to the head I pulled the cord, Nothing. I checked the connections and tried again, Nothing. Ok... maybe it's the plug. I tired another plug I had, Nothing. On the bright side one time I was holding plug I grounded the plug it shocked the sheet out of me. I grabbed my inline spark tester. Cheap thing from Harbor Freight, though it's worked great on my boat & tractor. I plug that in and it lights up like a x-mas tree. I mean it's producing spark enough to shock me & light the tester but not enough to jump the gap (even if you close the gap down). While testing the boot & clip on the plug wire fell off. Figuring that might have been the source of a bad connection I stripped off 1/8" from the plug wire & held it near the case, still no spark. What gives? Next I took the coil out. Which was covered in bar oil & saw dust, guess my 1 hour cleaning didn't get behind the air deflector. Anyway I cleaned that out whole area, rebuild it & tried again, Nothing.

Anyone have any idea where to go from here?

From project to classifieds.

Although I hate to "give up" on this old saw work has picked up on my side business and I don't see myself finishing it anytime soon. Rather then let it rot in a box in my garage for who knows how long I'll be putting it in the Classifieds. That way someone might actually get some use out of it.

Latest posts

Back